NationalPLC.Org

kidsnav.gif (4714 bytes)

Contact Us

Conference and Action for Reform - April 15/16

From: Webmaster (webmaster@AKidsRight.org)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 21:56:02 EST

http://www.kids-right.org/

To unsubscribe from this list at anytime, send email to
Majordomo@kids-right.org with the following 1 line in the
BODY of the message (Subject is ignored).

unsubscribe members

Good People,

This message contains news on the following:
1. April 15/16th - Conference & Action
2. The Politics of Reform
3. Growing our E-mail List

1. April 15/16th - Conference & Action
----------------------------------
Most of you had already received our earlier message on
plans to have Moms & Dads petition their government for
Civil Rights protection.  We plan on walking into the
Syracuse, NY, Federal Building with a smile on our faces
and carrying a picture of our children above our heads.
Response has been good, for details see:
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/plan_syr.htm

In addition to this event, planned for the afternoon
of Monday, April 16th, we are also planning a Conference
to discuss ideas associated with Federal Civil Rights
protection.  The "internet" is fine, but there is no
replacement for face-to-face contacts.  The web page
noted above, also allows you to register to attend the
conference or make a presentation there. MOST IMPORTANTLY,
it will allow you to make personal contacts with others
who share similar goals.

2. The Politics of Reform
-------------------------
To achieve "speedy" reform we need to concentrate our effort
where it will do the most good. While we will focus on
the government process in the United States, most of these
same principles will apply to all governments in the
"free world."

Our legislature, specifically the House of Representatives,
has the power to start Civil Rights Legislation and it also
has the power to ammend the U.S. Constitution. It was designed
to be "easily" influenced by the public, its members are up
for election every TWO years. What can we expect in opposition?

What follows is a summary of some shared experience from
several "lobbying" attempts in New York's State Legislature
as part of just trying to get a "presumption of joint custody."
It also includes results from talking to Congressional staff
members at a local district office.

You can expect a "bill" regarding reform to get stuck in a
committee before it comes up for a real vote.  In the committee
lobbyists and interest groups have a LOT of power.  Many
staff members at the State Level would tell us, "we would
love to help you if it ever comes to a vote, but right now
it is stuck in committee."

In off-the-record conversations we found out the "bill" would
probably never get to a real vote because it was opposed by
powerful feminist groups.  Almost all of whom see any change
as a threat to a "women's power."  They recognize the strong
bias that exists, but see it as a "necessary evil" which offset
the overwhelming power of men. NOW MANY OF OUR MEMBERS ARE
WOMEN who have been hurt by that same system.  Their obvious
answer to you would be that it was unfortunate, but "overall"
the policy does more good than harm.

We found Congressional Representative VERY relunctant to take
any type of real position. They MUCH prefer to say it is a
state issue and not a problem of theirs at all.  Again, many
see it like "abortion", it is a polarizing, no win cause. Just
stay out of it.

TO WIN ON THIS -- we must avoid turning it into a single gender
issue. We are all hurt by this.  Approaching a Congressional
member as mothers AND fathers does a great deal to defuse the
"sex" card.  We must also voice a position that is hard to
argue with (and we have been naturally blessed with that):
We are parents who want equal involvement in our children's lives.

It is VERY hard to be against that. It is MUCH easier to disagree
with "all judges/lawyers are bad," or "men/women have too much
power," or "its a divorce industry conspiracy."

THE ONLY THING MISSING -- is that we have to really demonstrate
to others how much we have been hurt, by showing them our
willingness to sacrifice.  NO member of Congress is going to want
to appear unresponsive to a group of mothers and fathers asking
for their help in Civil Rights (it looks very bad if they ask
to have them arrested.)   Representative may say they can't help
get the bill out of committee, but if they are facing strong local
opposition, they in-turn will put pressure on their party leadership.

BY ASKING THEM - to take a public position in support of hearings
into reform, they have to make their position clear.

PLEASE -- sign up for our Conference/Action. Plan a similar
event for your area, YOUR member of Congress.

3. Growing our E-Mail List
please pass them along.  They may already be on our list,
we do check for duplicates.