NationalPLC.Org

kidsnav.gif (4714 bytes)

Contact Us

Custody Evaluations / July 28th - NonViolent Action / Your FEEDBACK on the MDM and reform.

From: Webmaster (webmaster@AKidsRight.Org)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 12:14:42 EDT

Unsubscribe instructions at bottom of message.

Good People & People of Faith:

This message contains:
1. The Hall of Shame - Custody Evaluations?
2. July 28th - NonViolent Action resumes.
3. The Million Dad March - your FEEDBACK!
4. Reform Goals - your FEEDBACK!

1. The Hall of Shame - Custody Evaluations?
If you haven't been there recently, please check out the recent
stories at our Hall of Shame, http://www.AKidsRight.Org/shame.htm

At present we have almost 100 detailed submissions by parents who have
had a Court interfere with their relationship with their children.

Probably one of the most frustrating items a parent has to go through
is a psychological "Custody Evaluation."  In many cases there are no
hard facts. The evaluation serves to "predict" future behavior and what
will be in the "child's best interest."  Some Judges place a great
deal of weight in these since they are supposed to be "scientific &
unbiased." But as many of you know, there is "bias" anytime two people
interact.  Again, as with a single Judge, we have a situation where we
expect the Psychologist to not be "biased." The evaluations are rarely
recorded.  The "raw data" is not available for peer review (which
obviously makes it very difficult to dispute/review the findings).

Follow the link below to read a story of an eval gone wrong and an
actual letter to the Judge from a Psychologist reversing an earlier
recommendation, but a little too late.... the story of James and
Andrew Quirk, http://www.AKidsRight.Org/shame8.htm#quirk

We welcome your FEEDBACK on this issue.  In our DRAFT Family Rights
Act, http://www.AKidsRight.Org/act.htm -- the emphasis is on
"demonstrated conduct", not "predictive conduct."  If you have not
demonstrated you are a serious threat to your children (for which
facts should be presentable to a jury), government may not interfere.
What do you think?

2. July 28th - NonViolent Action resumes
Our efforts to get Senator Hillary R. Clinton (NY) to meet with
parents hurt by our nation's family law system and call for Congressional
hearings into the need for reform -- resume on July 28th outside
her offices in the Syracuse Federal Building.

For more details see http://www.AKidsRight.Org/actionc_syr
Your participation is welcome!

3. The Million Dad March - your FEEDBACK!
The FEEDBACK below was in response to a recent list message, you
can see that message at:
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/archive/archive2003/0022.html

--- Bikerchic4u@dont-send.com

> You are sending me these e-mails and I'm a mom fighting to see my
> son.I'm alittle offended.It should be about both parents.And the
> funny thing is my son's father is in and out of jail and our court
> system seems to think that's a better life and I'm fighting to prove
> otherwise. Please don't send me anymore messages.

... I did take your address off the list.  We do try to keep the list
about both parents and that is definitely what the site is about (we
get more father's writing in or public activity at times since they
are more affected in general).  Honestly, we also get father's writing
in to say we are "too pro woman" also.

Sorry to hear about your struggle with your son, you are welcome to
submit it to our Hall of Shame page,
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/shame.htm

If you have time, I would welcome your feedback on our Family Rights
Act, http://www.AKIdsRight.Org/act.htm -- and how it would have
influence your present situation.

--- "Gerald Gauthier" <ggauthier@rogers.com>

--- "William Dolan" <wmdolan@hotmail.com>

> It was good to see you on Fathers' Day.  Your post mortem comment
> was of interest.  You are correct that the day flopped a bit.  I
> don't know who organized it.

> Here in DC we get to see a number of the national fathers' rights
> figures, who eventually come here to speak and be heard.  Stuart
> Miller is alive and well in the movement today, not just in the
> 1980's; so is David Levy; Ron Henry bulldozed presumptive joint
> custody into a DC statute over the objection of a lot of judges, and
> he is still around; there is quite a list of movement leaders.  One
> finds that out when they all want to speak at once.

> In late June I spoke before the Virginia Judicial Council, a group
> of judicial leaders that create judicial policy in Virginia.  When
> we try to improve things, it seems like there is no progress, but
> really it is just not perceptible yet.  However, remember the quote:
> "A force, consistently applied in a directed fashion over time, will
> bring results certain."

> When I first met you, I thought that your walks through the
> courthouses with the signs or photos were not in violation of any of
> the buildings management rules.  Since I work with federal buildings
> management people, I feel that violating such a rule, if it exists,
> will just create problems for you, so I encourage you to preserve
> your organizational talent for your good work. and not go back to
> Jamesville.

... Thanks for the updated info and the words of caution!

---"Steven Kemp" <skemp04@adelphia.net>

> I am writing you because I have heard good things of your group and
> actions.  I could not agree more that the March was ineffective.  At
> best.  I don't understand why fathers do not insist on personal
> accountability.  I am soon to go public with the misdeeds of the
> mother, judge, attorney, clerk with home addresses and pictures.
> Write me back. Let me know if any other father has gone public in
> this manner with the judge.  Steve Kemp.

You are welcome to submit your story to our Hall of Shame page,
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/shame.htm, and perhaps the publicity will
help.

Yes, I have heard of folks trying to hold people "personally"
responsible and sometimes they win when it is a VERY clear violation
of conduct/standards.  It is worth doing, folks need to be held
accountable.  But a lot of times it can become "bitter" and it may not
be as useful in the overall reform effort.  The problem with our
Family Law is not really bad parents or Judges (although they are out
there) -- but it is really a system that just does not protect your
right to be a parent.  WE have given judges way too much flexibility
and that needs to change.

--- Efrain Rodriguez <RWEDERYET@aol.com>

--- "Brennan, Robert J" <robert.j.brennan@lmco.com>

--------------------------------

--- Daniel Lee <president@childsbestinterest.org>

--- Chuck Evans <CDavis382@aol.com>

> I cannot believe that you and the individuals on your list ... know
> or say nothing about the Galluzzo Dayton federal constitutional
> challenge to Ohio law case and the efforts of certain persons in
> Ohio that would effectuate change, i.e., a rebuttable presumption of
> EQUAL legal and physical custody, that would impact every state in
> the country as the case is on the merits and the same evidentiary
> standard of best interests is common in every state law.

> Briefs were submitted in January and pending decision.  And the fact
> that the interest level is so low and that there are so many
> splintered groups with no stated goals is pathetic and the reason
> why parental rights for fathers are ignored and violated every day
> of the year in every state court in the country. The Ohio group (and
> this is not the PACE group, but there are a few affiliated with PACE
> (Parents And Children for Equality) formerly FACE (Fathers And
> Children for Equality) and formerly Fathers and Children for Equal
> Justice started in 1975-6 in Columbus, Ohio-one of the oldest
> organizations for your history update) has a clear focus, a clear
> goal, and has introduced legislation that addresses the issues in
> the Galluzzo case, and the fact that the federal magistrate
> certified a constitutional question to the state of Ohio challenging
> their constitutional compliance with federal law, which was also the
> impetus for Ohio legislator Representative Ron Young to get 19
> cosponsors to his bill being introduced in the fall.

> And this is due to the tireless 7 year effort of only a couple of
> persons in Ohio, but your national organizations don't even mention
> them-because there is a total failure to communicate due to the
> fractured nature of the duplicative and essentially worthless
> existing organizations that have effectively and cumulatively
> accomplished very little.

> I know that without the tireless effort of one or two, you would not
> even be made aware of this message.

> Chuck Evans
> former associate director of FACE, now an independent PITA at the federal and
> state courts
> Columbus, Ohio

.. thanks for the update on Galluzzo, actually we have mentioned it on
the list and have even allocated a link to him in the "Court Action"
area of our web site.  Unfortunately, we don't always get updates...

http://www.AKidsRight.Org/court.htm

--- Brad Herman <Brad.Herman@mssm.edu>

--- "Bobby Mountain" <bmm@ellijay.com>

> I'm fresh to the fray, but I've been involved in the Southern rights
> movement for several years.  You really should get past the
> KKK/black thing and read some real history.  If not for the Brave
> Southerners standing up for their Black brethren, Abe Lincoln would
> have sent all the black folk back to Africa.  He bought property in
> Liberia.  Its not your fault for your false knowledge of history.
> You and I were not taught the truth by our Federal education system.

Not quite sure what you are talking about above?  The primary focus of
the site is NonViolent Action, in our "history" section we have some
examples of action by Gandhi and Martin Luther King,
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/civil_back.htm -- are there some errors
there?

> My point here is the fact that our whole life is controlled by the
> Federal Government.  There is not room for the individual, and this
> includes our children. We are not fighting one part of the system,
> but all. If this was not a Federal fight, then pick a fight with one
> state and overcome.  The state is backed up by the Fed.  Costing a
> local District Attorney his position at the ballot box would be a
> small step in the right direction. But he is backed up by the
> Fed/State and the Department of Children and Family Services. Go
> back to the US Constitution.  To be free, live free.  To live free
> we have to remind the Government that they serve us .  To prove
> this, we have to vote some people out. 2 We could take a good case
> and make a class action suit.  Not civil rights.  Unalienable
> rights. God given rights given to us in our Constitution. We are
> given the individual sovereignty over government by the election
> process.

> As parents we have the unalienable rights to raise our children.
> Civil right allows for Government intervention, that's why we're in
> the fix we are now.  The media and NAACP scream civil rights but we
> get more debt ridden and separated as a people daily.  If the media
> wasn't in charge for the Government we could very well all get
> along.  If we weren't fighting each other, we would be correcting
> the slack in the Government.  They don't want that!  There is no
> quick fix for the family in America.  I personally don't think
> fighting the current system will work.  It's to entrenched.  We have
> to across the board claim our unalienable rights, starting with our
> children.  They are our children.  Listen to this. They are our
> children, not the states.'  Civil rights gives the state the right
> to protect children, as equal adults, subject to the Government, not
> the parent.  Any law that is in conflict to the Constitution, can be
> deemed unlawful and should.

> When we go to court we should demand our Constutional unalienable
> rights to parent our children.  Any other argument would contain
> civil right mentality and the parent will lose to the power of the
> state. Quite simply, any so called law that limits the individuals
> unalienable rights are unlawful laws.  All law enforcement,
> attorneys, judges, etc., are sworn to protect the Constitution.
> This will be a tuff battle, but if we all come forward with this
> battle we will get the attention we will need to start the real
> battle.  The battle to get our freedom back. Raise our children in
> the pursuit of happiness.  Bobby Mountain

Yes, I think we agree on the same things. We have a draft Family
Rights Act at the site, I would welcome your feedback on that,
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/act.htm

Webmaster@AKidsRight.Org