NationalPLC.Org

kidsnav.gif (4714 bytes)

Contact Us

[AKidsRight.Org] Syracuse Update: New Action / Federal Trial Sep 21st / Your help.

From: John Murtari (jmurtari@akidsright.org)
Date: Tue Sep 14 2004 - 15:39:44 EDT

This is a message from the AKidsRight.Org mailing list.  Unsubscribe instructions at bottom of message.
=======================================
Good People & People of Faith,

I wanted to bring you up-to-date on what has been happening in
Syracuse regarding our efforts to get a meeting between Senator
Clinton and parents.  I will be returning to the outside of the
Syracuse Federal Building at 9am on Tuesday, Sep 21st, and my trial
(open to the public) is scheduled to start in Federal Court at 10 am.
It would be nice to see a few of you there and have a chance to talk
before the time for Trial. If you are new to the group or need more
background, you will find a complete history at:
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/actionc_syr

When I returned to the building on Sep 2nd I was very surprised to
see the extent security went to - to keep me out of the
building. After again 'pushing' me out of the entrance two officers
kept watch as I attempted to move between the doors to enter.  They
would 'push' me farther away if I go to close, but then I would just
come back.  This went on for two hours and I couldn't help feeling
'silly.' The effort appeared to be coordinated by the US Attorney's
office and the Judge didn't seem to care what was happening
. . . what could I do next?  What could WE do next?

I couldn't help but feel 'flashbacks' to the way things are in Family
Court.  The way all of us were simple 'pushed' out of the way when it
came to our children.  The silly allegations and the simple
indiginity of the entire process.  The Judges and Lawyers and staff
-- just too busy for us and  ready to get on with it - NEXT!

I've had some thoughts on how to proceed (and I welcome yours) and you
may see some different NonViolent Action next Tuesday. In a another
attempt I wrote to Senator Clinton, the Judge, and the US Attorney's
office (below).  I certainly appreciate the efforts of those of you
who have written and called - it has made a difference. I have
repeated the contact information for all these people at the end of
this message -- your personal contact with them would be a great help
both to me and our effort.

Best regards!
John Murtari

===================== From the letter ==========================
   Mr. Richard Southwick, Assistant United States Attorney
   RE: United States v. Murtari
   P.O. Box 7198
   100 S. Clinton St
   Syracuse, NY 13261-7198

   Dear Mr. Southwick and Ms. Clinton:   (13 Sep 2004)

   Events at the Federal Building in recent weeks have caused me to
   reconsider my methods. I never expected to be `pushed' away from
   the building as I attempted to contact a Member of Congress (but
   not charged with a crime).  Physical force has been used to
   resolve an uncomfortable situation. This has placed me in a
   difficult position. I had to review all that has happened:

   I am a peaceful and respectful parent trying to communicate with
   my Member of Congress about recognizing and protecting the Civil
   Right I have to be a parent to my own child. I have been:

   * Arrested and tried unjustly.  Found guilty of violating rules that
   don't exist or of actions that did not happen. I was surprised to
   find how `weak' building rules were, but GSA has a giant staff and
   they should have rewritten their rules.

   * Reported unjustly to the Secret Service (by my Member of Congress)
   for investigation and have staff use that as an excuse for no
   meeting to take place.

   * Pushed around a Federal Building without arrest and had a Federal
   Judge aware of the situation offer no protection.

   * Subjected to a 'broad' stay away order that prohibits me from
   peacefully visiting the offices of ALL my Members of Congress in
   that building.

   The 'overwhelming' physical power of the State separated me from
   my Son (and didn't care of the love we had), it has ruined my
   personal life and it is difficult for any parent to respond.  I
   have no animosity toward the individuals, but what happened then
   (and now) is just plain wrong.  I am being (was) treated like some
   kind of 'bag lady' that just needed to be pushed away....

   Between the Offices of Senator Clinton and the US Attorney, and
   myself - we need to resolve this, but no one appears ready to
   reconsider. I know there are accommodations that can be reached in
   the `interest of justice.'  As a minimum, to allow a constituent
   to peacefully petition outside her offices on the 14th floor - if
   the Senator is still not ready for a meeting.  But I think we need
   to "write things down" - that peaceful conduct will not be
   disturbed; I will not be `pushed' away from the building again -
   that reporting a peaceful constituent to the Secret Service was a
   mistake.

   Both of you are in positions of great power and authority. I
   hardly think to pull back a bit would be seen as a sign of
   weakness. It would certainly be seen as a sign of compassion and
   graciousness.  It would send a positive message to the many people
   watching this situation and who are cynical about government.

   As the `weakest link' I am hardly in a position to withdraw. It
   would too easily be seen as cowardice and lack of conviction
   (especially now that physical force is being applied). I would
   have to deny my belief in NonViolent Action and in the power of
   peaceful voluntary sacrifice in major social reform. What could I
   say to the loving parents of the AKidsRight.Org group - `it all
   sounded good in theory, but didn't work out too well in practice?'

   Most of all, what could I say to my son, Domenic. I have talked to
   him about Faith, and Love, and a God that loves each of us dearly
   (more than any parent loves their own child). He is old enough now
   to understand what Daddy `does' to try to change things and I have
   talked to him about the Civil Rights struggle to break
   segregation. That people had to sacrifice and there was a lot of
   pain (and it is hard for him to understand why - it still is for
   me). But I have told him that `good things will happen' and that
   `someday' we will have a normal life together - how can I ever
   just walk away?

   Please, I do ask you to act quickly and before the Court date next
   week. There is no need for more jail time here.  Because of the
   change in `schedule' I was able to plan a trip to see Domenic for
   the weekend with my mother - we even got a good deal on the
   fair. I am thankful for that time and so is Dom.

   Respectfully yours,

   John Murtari http://www.AKidsRight.Org/
   315-635-1968, x-211
   315-430-2702 (cell)

   CC: Federal Magistrate Gustav J. DiBianco
   CC: Washington & Syracuse Offices of Senator Clinton

==================== Contact Information  =====================
Please send a fax or make a phone call to the Senator's offices both
in Washington and Syracuse.  They are paying attention to what is
going on here. The Senator is a member of the Senate Subcommittee on
Children and Families.
http://labor.senate.gov/committee_members.html#ChildrenFamiles

You don't have to be a resident of New York to call her offices.

Syracuse Local rep, Cathy Calhoun,
tel: 315-448-0470, fax: 315-448-0476

Washington Scheduling Office, Lona Valmoro (Senior Advisor to the Senator),
tel: 202-224-4451, fax: 202-228-0121

Most of all, you don't have to express anger. Just let her staff know
that you care about Civil Rights protection for families and the
Senator should meet with parent's groups regarding the need for
National reform...  Let them know being a parent is one of our
GREATEST rights. It needs official recognition and protection.

If you take the time to send a fax, try to send copies to the Judge
and US Attorney (also email us a copy or tell us about your phone
conversation).  Let them know you care.

Honorable Gustav J. DiBianco
US Magistrate Judge
RE: United States v. Murtari