NationalPLC.Org

kidsnav.gif (4714 bytes)

Contact Us

[AKidsRight.Org] Murtari Jail Sentence / Share Your Family Experiences

From: John Murtari (jmurtari@akidsright.org)
Date: Thu Oct 07 2004 - 11:24:25 EDT

This is a message from the AKidsRight.Org mailing list.  Unsubscribe instructions at bottom of message.
=======================================
Good People & People of Faith,

This message contains info on:
1. Murtari in Jail - Details and Plans
2. Parent Database - Register and be counted!
3. Hall of Shame - Share your story.

1. Murtari in Jail - Details and Plans
---------------------------------------
On Friday, September 24th, John Murtari was sentenced by U.S. Federal
Magistrate DiBianco to four consecutive sentences of 11 days each.  He
should be released on November 5th.

He had been found guilty of four counts of simple trespass.  The
actual NonViolent Action was quietly carrying a petition (including
pictures of parents and children) outside the offices of Senator
Hillary R. Clinton located on the 14th floor of the Syracuse Federal
Building.  For complete details and more background see
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/

In a new twist, the U.S. Attorney requested and the Judge imposed a
$500 fine (it is one more bit of debt for John; he is already
thousands behind in support payments due to the relocation of his
son and payments based on twice his level of income).  The fine does
send a powerful signal to any individual or group which may try
to support John -- you will face financial sanction for your peaceful
Civil Rights efforts.

The Judge also said John could get out of jail early if he writes him
a letter and promises to stop his activity.  The activity will stop
when Senator Clinton agrees to a personal meeting with parents
unjustly separated from their kids due to divorce, separation, or
child abuse allegations.

If you can do one thing to help, please write to Senator Clinton and
the other officials involved.  There is complete contact information
(mailing address and fax) at the end of this message.

John also welcomes your letters and experiences.  If you write John,
please include your return address in your letter.  The jail tears
off return labels.  His address is:

John Murtari
P.O. Box 518
Auburn, NY 13021

>From John:

     "I am very thankful to be released early in November.  It will
     give me an opportunity to visit Dom out West in November and then
     have him here for Christmas Vacation."

     "I hope to resume NonViolent Action in early January and
     participation by other mothers and fathers would make all this a
     lot easier and probably spare my family and me the experience of
     more jail time."

     "The essential element we need to get a meeting with the
     Senator herself is positive media attention.  One person is a
     'crank', three people are a 'movement' and will get local
     newspaper and TV coverage.  A reporter that will call the
     Senator's office and ask,

     'These moms and dads are peaceful, they obviously love their kids
     and are concerned about Family Rights.  They have risked jail to
     speak with you -- will you meet with them?'

2. Parent Database - Register and be counted!
We have upgraded our registration system to allow you to share more
detailed information about how you were separated from your children.

As our reform effort moves forward, this database will provide
information to people, academic researchers, legislative staff looking
to speak with parents matching specific demographic information.  A
search would return the fact there are matching records -- but would
not reveal your name or contact information.  We would then release
that information with your permission.  If you would like to register
and participate, please visit http://www.AKidsRight.Org/register

The system is still new and we welcome your recommendation for added
questions that would help describe what happened to you.  If you had
registered in the old system your information has been transferred to
the new one.

You can also make some limited information visible on our member
support page, http://www.AKidsRight.Org/member.php4.

It also allows you to include a link to a personal website or that of
another group.

3. Hall of Shame - Share your story
------------------------------------
If you haven't paid a visit in a while, please check the new stories
at our Hall of Shame page -- http://www.AKidsRight.Org/shame.htm.

We get about 2-3 new stories a month and all of them help show how
unpredictable the present system is.  You will also read a lot of
bitterness toward former spouses -- but don't believe everything you
read.  Please just consider how your former spouse might describe you?

The critical element is facts.  If we pulled 12 jurors off the street
who didn't know either of you -- after hearing the evidence, would
you be able to get a unanimous verdict that either of you are a
serious threat to your children?  If not -- how about
EQUAL parenting?
--
                                       John Murtari
Coordinator                            AKidsRight.Org

==========================
Please send a fax or make a phone call to the Senator's offices both
in Washington and Syracuse.  They are paying attention to what is
going on here. The Senator is a member of the Senate Subcommittee on
Children and Families.
http://labor.senate.gov/committee_members.html#ChildrenFamiles

You don't have to be a resident of New York to call her offices.

Syracuse Local rep, Cathy Calhoun,
tel: 315-448-0470, fax: 315-448-0476

Washington Scheduling Office, Lona Valmoro (Senior Advisor to the Senator),
tel: 202-224-4451, fax: 202-228-0121

Most of all, you don't have to express anger. Just let her staff know
that you care about Civil Rights protection for families and the
Senator should meet with parent's groups regarding the need for
National reform...  Let them know being a parent is one of our
GREATEST rights. It needs official recognition and protection.

If you take the time to send a fax, try to send copies to the Judge
and US Attorney (also email us a copy or tell us about your phone
conversation).  Let them know you care.

Honorable Gustav J. DiBianco
US Magistrate Judge
RE: United States v. Murtari