NationalPLC.Org

kidsnav.gif (4714 bytes)

Contact Us

[AKidsRight.Org] Syracuse Federal Plaza or A "Field of Dreams"? / Action Jan 25, 2pm.

From: John Murtari (jmurtari@akidsright.org)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2005 - 21:16:17 EST

Good People and People of Faith:

An interesting question: Federal Building Plaza or a "Field of
Dreams" -- if you build it, they will come?  But will they come by
Tuesday?  http://www.AKidsRight.Org/actionc_syr

In past years I have spent a lot of time at the Syracuse Federal
Building.  At times that old Kevin Costner film has come to mind --
if you build the baseball field (in the middle of your corn field
while your family thinks your nuts) -- they will come.  The
possibility of reconciliation and redemption during the journey, but
always a risk.  It sure does work in the movies -- what about real
life?

PLEASE, before I go on.  I don't have any illusions of grandeur! No
one else may every notice what "I" do at the building, but if "We"
do it?  Maybe thinking about the "Field of Dreams" will help us
think about our struggle (sorry, if you don't know the plot - rent
the movie!).

Tuesday at 2 pm I'll have another piece of chalk in hand and be
crouched in the cold outside the Federal Building.  Pressing a
simple message onto the ground, "Senator Clinton - Please help us!"
I'll be adding another line to that "Dom - I Love You".  A little
after two I may be hearing the click of handcuffs on my wrists.

If you build it they will come?  Do they share the dream?  Do they
believe?  Imagine what it would mean to have another mother and
father with me, writing with chalk: sending a message to the
Senator, telling your child how much you love them?  Parents willing
to hear the click of handcuffs to show how much they believe in
their GREAT right.

WOW -- is that powerful.  What type of media attention would that
bring? Could Senator Clinton say no to meeting with us?

What would you BUILD to make them come?
---------------------------------------
I don't know what you see as an obstacle to reform: the lawyers,
judges, social workers, selfish politicans, or money?  What would
you be willing to write on the Plaza and risk the click of handcuffs?

* I HATE Judges!
* I HATE Lawyers!
* I HATE Social Services!
* I HATE my former spouse!
* I Love My Child!

We need people who would pick the last one.  In fact, I believe ONLY
people who would pick the last one would even take the risk.  For
the others, it's not all about reform -- a big part is also revenge.

Our Field of Dreams
-------------------
Many of us know parents who have given up (and maybe we see them in
a mirror sometimes).  There are parents who have hurt others and
hurt themselves. They lost their children, and with them their
dream. They think it is gone, never to come back....

How many orders have YOU experienced in the past that sought to
limit how much you held your child, talked to your child, or even
wrote your child?  How many orders (and threats of jail), to stop
you from loving your child?

I still have dreams of being an EQUAL parent to my son. How do I
keep my Dream, my Faith, my Love? How do I build? On Tuesday I will
take a piece of chalk and crouch in the cold in front of that Federal
Building. There is NOT a Judges order in the world, or a jail
sentence they can threaten me with, that will stop me from writing:

"Dom - I LOVE YOU!"

How about you?  Be there!
Syracuse Federal Building, Tuesday, Jan 25, 2PM.

--
                                        John Murtari
Coordinator                            AKidsRight.Org