NationalPLC.Org

kidsnav.gif (4714 bytes)

Contact Us

[AKidsRight.Org] March 11 Rally (Albuquerque)/ Introspection & Reform - Your FEEDBACK

From: John Murtari (jmurtari@AKidsRight.org)
Date: Tue Mar 08 2005 - 09:47:19 EST

Good People & People of Faith:

Before my main message, I want to interject this brief announcement on
a major upcoming event since time is a little short:

March 11 - March & Rally - Albuquerque to Santa Fe
Submitted by: Shelly Barreras <shellyhots@aol.com>
               http://www.krightsradio.com/rallyopmr.php

The march is still on and going strong, I have placed an ad in
Sunday's and Friday's paper under Special Announcements. I have made
some ribbons if you want to wear them... I also put my number in the
ad as contact. 505-891-9315. We have quite a few people coming from
out of state from Million Dads March(Thomas and Gregory), Equal is
Equal(Bob), Center for Family Justice(Leslie) and of course our
illustrious host Richard Farr of KRightsRadio.com.... I look forward
to meeting each and every one of you! It will be a day to remember!

This is a collection of your comments on a recent message on Lent,
Introspection, and Family Law Reform. Anyone who wants to read the
original, it is at
http://www.AKidsRIght.Org/archive/archive2005/0015.html

I think there are some pretty thoughtful replies below.  If we feel
our right to raise our own children is a GREAT right, will it come
for free -- through talk alone or logical arguments?  In our most
recent message we covered objections to reform:

* It's NOT good to bounce kids around between houses!
* Kids are NOT property to be split!
* BAD parents use Kids to control the other parent!

We asked, "how do you reply?".  There are sound arguments against
all, but is that enough to get a majority of people behind you?  How
many sound arguments were there to support freedom of speech, or
religion, or to say that segregation was wrong?  They alone did not
bring change.

The fight against segregation and NonViolent Action
(http://www.AKidsRight.Org/civil_back.htm) showed how suddenly White
Southerners were able to change their attitudes about Blacks. They
had 'heard' the arguments, but what they 'saw' was Blacks peacefully
accepting persecution and jail as they demonstrated for "their
equality".  Gathering NOT to say "White men are BAD!", but that "all
men are created EQUAL".  They saw them attacked by dogs, police, and
the Klan -- suddenly they could empathize! See them as a real person
and as themselves... hearts opened.

People sacrificed their very lives for these GREAT rights.  No one
needs to die or be injured to bring real Family Law reform, but we do
need to sacrifice. Why?

We are fortunate to have an 'easy' path to reform.  One of our great
archetypes is the 'bond between parent and child' -- how many times
does it appear in movies or stories?  Everyone knows how 'wrong' it
is to come between a loving parent and their child -- it is one of
life's greatest tragedies.  Unfortunately, many of us are living it.

When parents are willing to carry a picture of the kids they love and
go to jail ... When parents are willing to chalk a message to their
kids, "I LOVE YOU", and go to jail -- we will open hearts.  Our
actions will win the 'argument'.

Introspection & Suffering
-------------------------
Sacrifice is never an easy thing.  You have doubts, you are not
sure. Is this going to matter?  Is anyone going to care?  Therein
also lies its tremendous power.  My original message was about those
thoughts: How did people in the past sacrifice and even die for
something they would never get to enjoy?  Those people found the
answer, how about us?

Your FEEDBACK
-------------

--- "Eric D. Tarkington" <etarking@ooadvocate.com>  'Rejection'

--- Smartaspaper@aol.com                   'It makes you sick'

--- platypus <pgroup@blarg.net>          'You need a therapist!'

> No, I won't read it....

> How reading dime store novels that you write is helping the war
> effort is beyond me. You are so nonproductive that it's hard to
> feel any sympathy for your situation.

> You need a therapist if you think you're doing any good, for
> yourself or anybody else.

... If we compare ourselves to the Civil Rights movements of the past
-- public action will also play an important role, and personal
sacrifice by some participants.  In the past Faith has always played
an important role in that -- by many to risk the loss of life for a
GREAT right they might never enjoy.  Is that realistic today in our
modern society?

I guess my 'productiveness' is preparing some folks for that effort
and also experimenting with methods.  People are usually eager to
talk about the 'highs' -- but get a little quiet and just disappear
during the 'lows'.  It always helps to know others have been through
it and what their feelings were - the perfect 'dime store novel!'.

--- Derrick Corr <matthewsfather@shaw.ca> 'a sandstorm starts with one'

--- Karen B. Madigan-McCormick <Growinwild@aol.com> 'Inspiration'

--- Shannon Basore <bmom2james@yahoo.com>  'On the WRONG path'

> I really like the legal reforms your site proposes but that is the
> last point we seem to agree on.

> If you call a plumber 1000 times complaining that you have a short
> in your electrical system, they will not only "not meet with you",
> but they will try and stop you from harassing them with any further
> requests for their help.

> Senator Clinton has done just that.  You try to act like you have a
> right to meet with her and will get what ever naive people you can
> to help you enforce that right, but I doubt if many will jump on
> that bandwagon.  The message is true but your manor is doing it a
> great injustice!

> I have witnessed letters telling you that the Representatives for
> your area are responsible for writing new legislation to change the
> way things are done.  You go to them and ask for help and your much
> more likely to bring respect for yourself and the changes your
> asking for.

> Your willingness to go to jail to force a plumber to try and fix
> your electric problems is pitiful and I am tired of being a witness
> to it.

> Good luck with your law... I am focusing my time on our custody
> case until the 17 of March and once our final hearing is settled I
> am putting all my time into lobbying for the reforms you sought in
> our state.  They are sound and deserve my time and attention.  You
> sir are not.

Not sure if we agree on the goals as you say?  We have those at
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/approach.htm There are many items that need
to be 'fixed' in Family Law, some are appropriate as you say at the
State level.

But, the core of the group's goals is Civil Rights recognition and
protection of our GREAT right to be a parent to our own kids.  The
'right' to freedom of religion, or to be free, or to speak, or for a
woman to participate in government are not 'state' issues or under
their 'control'.  Such valued rights are protected by our Federal
Constitution and government.  I think Ms. Clinton is the plumber we
need!  Certainly, I don't think many parents feels their right to
raise their own children should be different depending on what state
they live?  Your thoughts?

--- "Doc" <doc1@oldcodger.org>               'Just self pity!'

--- IAMJAHLUL@aol.com                'We are all God's children'

--- w w <dadsareforever@yahoo.com>      'Stand up for yourself'

> Hi John, did something happen to you that changed your outlook?

Oh no.  The outlook is still the same and no recent changes.  Just
time for another perspective.

> Call it good news in my case. Always the step parent tried to
> replace me, being very pushy, literally.  Almost a year ago I saw
> my daughter in a public place and we hugged each other (she will be
> 12 this April). So (mr. Dildo) called 911 and the DA charged me
> with battery and contempt of court. I had the papers in my hand to
> sign a no-contest (guilty) to contempt and they would drop the
> battery, and pay a $145.00 fine and get on with my life. I could
> not do it. Instead I mustered the courage to go for the truth and a
> trial. After almost a year, we were in court to set a trial date by
> jury. After sitting in the court room for 4 hours my (poor)
> PDefender came to me and said the DA has dismissed the charges. If
> I were a wealthy person I would have preferred to go to trail
> anyway and clear myself of the bogus charges. As I left the DA
> acted like he had a good case but not the time and continued to
> threaten me with the case if in the future he needed to use it.

> They will always say I was guilty as charged anyway as one is
> usually perceived guilty when the woman makes false claims.  They
> still hold my daughter captive and its getting close to two years
> since I have been her daddy.

Well, I really admire you for your determination!  Most people would
have just gone along with the 'plea', but then whined about it later.
It is surprising what happens when we act with a little courage and
conviction -- the other side is not so powerful.  Still sorry to hear
about not seeing your daughter -- do you get to see her at all?  Even
the every other weekend stuff?

--
                                       John Murtari