NationalPLC.Org

kidsnav.gif (4714 bytes)

Contact Us

[AKidsRight.Org] DRAFT REVIEW: The "You're a Parent Notification Act"

From: AKidsRight.Org Webmaster (webmaster@AKidsRight.org)
Date: Tue Dec 06 2005 - 14:21:34 EST

Good People & People of Faith,

We've had the Family Rights Act at the site for review,
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/approach.htm

As many of you who have contacted legislators know -- it is a big
step.  It would fully recognize and protect the basic Civil/Human
Right we all have to be parents to our own children, and for our
children to have BOTH parents in their lives.

Right now, even many parents don't think in terms of Civil Rights --
what can we expect of legislators?  Perhaps the introduction of a Law
(even at the State level), that directly addresses the concept of
equality in parenting might help. What better place to start than at
conception.

John Murtari, Group Coordinator, recently had an opportunity to visit
with two members of his State Legislature (New York), Assemblyman
Robert Oaks and Senator Michael Nozzolio. He asked them about ensuring
parental notification of BOTH parents at the birth of a child.  They
both found the concept interesting and John promised follow up.

Obviously, in almost all cases a mother knows that she is going to be
parent and this Act hopes to bring equality to fathers. But remember,
our group goal is to ensure we are all considered Fit & Equal parents.
The discussion of this Act would help not only Fathers, but Mothers,
and also those who have suffered from false child abuse allegations.
Why?  It will get people thinking about rights and how those rights
should be recognized and protected.

Below we have a very rough DRAFT.  We welcome your FEEDBACK and will
use it in an upcoming message to share with others.  We include
specific questions on wording within brackets [A or B], but you are
free to comment on anything.  This message is being sent just to
direct members of the AKidsRight.Org mailing list.

This one is not 'easy'.  It does force you to think about rights.

                "You're a Parent Notification Act"

Background:

   This Act is founded on the natural law that any child has TWO
   parents and that preparation for being a successful parent begins
   at conception.  Society should ensure the same rights &
   responsibilities to both parents.  No one should be a parent
   without their knowledge.

   [ your suggestions ]

   It shall be the duty of a parent to notify the other parent upon
   the [birth or conception] of a child.  This notification should
   occur with [30] days of the event.  The State will maintain a
   registry of notifications for both parents.  If the [birth or
   conception] event is recognized by [medical or other health
   professionals] they will assist in making sure notification is
   completed.

   The scope of this Act [is limited to just] notification. Once
   notified the parent has recourse to existing law.

Exceptions:

   Notification need not occur in the designated period if a rape is
   alleged and criminal charges are pending against the other parent.
   [other exceptions/details]

Definition of Notification:

   Notification is documented by a [witnessed/signed] document from
   the parent.  It will include the date of [birth or conception] and
   the name and address of the other parent.

   The cost of notification will be shared equally between the
   parents.

Procedures:

   If a parent can not be located [what?]

   If one parent refused to identify the other parent [what?]

   If one parent refuses to acknowledge notification [what?]

[Additional questions of scope for this Act. We do not want to make
this complicated, should the below be included or left out?]

   If a jurisdiction allows a parent to 'abort' a child within a time
   period, thereby relieving them of parenting responsibility --
   should the non birth parent have the ability to declare no desire
   to be a parent and abrogate responsibility for the child (but not
   force an abortion)?

   If a jurisdiction allows a parent, after a live birth, a certain
   period of time to leave a child for adoption, thereby relieving
   them of parenting responsibility -- should the non birth parent be
   presented with a similar option?

[anything else?]

--
                                     Webmaster