[AKidsRight.Org] Child's Best Interest as a Goal - Your FEEDBACK

From: John Murtari (jmurtari@AKidsRight.org)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2007 - 09:40:49 EDT

Good People & People of Faith,

This message consists of just your FEEDBACK on the story of an alleged
'awful home environment' of a poor seven year old (actually my story)
-- and what it says about any Court/Law using "the child's best
interest" as a standard in Family Law; whether that be from divorce,
separation, or child 'protective' services.

I feel it does not provide a sound moral or philosophical basis for
our reform efforts.  It is something we need to discuss among
ourselves -- many people mourn the fact that 'our movement' is not
more united, a real common understanding and goal may help.  We are
not there yet....  Do we have a goal that will motivate people to the
level of loving personal sacrifice, to protect a great Civil Right?

I'm sorry, but I can't get excited about reform that starts with a
rebuttable presumption of 'shared parenting', or that in high-conflict
situations still let's a single Judge or 'counselors' decide what's in
my child's best interest?

If you missed reading the original message, you will find it here:
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/wordpress

YOUR FEEDBACK and thoughts on this are below.  There were some very
good points made and questions asked.  For those new to the list, I
collect FEEDBACK to prior messages and send it out as one message.  If
you reply with a followup, you get the last word.  We can learn a lot
from respectful disagreement in dialog.

--- Cinemade@aol.com

--- Joani <Putzangel@aol.com>

--- Jan <TIDDYBEAR@aol.com>

--- thomas.d.curry@verizon.net

--- Colleen <OurkidsRiebl@aol.com>

> I enjoyed your story so very much.  While reading it, I thought of
> all the times I was at my grandparents or aunts and uncles and I
> know my parents had been drinking.  BUT- we were a family enjoying
> each other.

> I went back to school for Social Work. I am doing a paper on family
> preservation services.  I believe that services should be
> implemented or at least offered before any other intervention, by
> strangers.

> The best interest of the child is allowing the child to remain in
> their family, and helping that family.

... I like the idea the community should 'offer' help to a family --
but also not force their will... my story could have had a very tragic
ending.  But family is a very private thing, a very dynamic
relationship between parents and children (as you well know).  Perhaps
that is the price we sometimes pay for freedom.

I don't mind the 'law of averages' being applied to government setting
food standards or speed limits, but it is quite another thing when it
is forced upon family life.  This Easter morning I can't help but
remember all the good times we had together.  The DWI bothers a lot of
people, but in reality, the actual serious accident is very rare --
but to avoid that, some would have cut me off from my parents -- real
abuse (as you say) to avoid something that 'might' happen.

--- Simon Dorey <simondorey@shaw.ca>

> ... The best interests of the child are not represented by a lawyer
> for the child - merely by a poorly educated and informed judge -
> with a whole bag of presumptions and assumptions on his shoulders.

> We should change this to the best interest of the family and
> children should automatically be appointed court counsel if the
> matter appears in a court situation.

This is quite a bit different from this type of goal:

That you and your spouse are both considered Fit & Equal parents
(equal in terms of both physical and legal custody).  If anyone (a
spouse, relative, social services) wishes to challenge that, you have:

1) The right to counsel.

2) The right to be presumed a fit parent, innocent, and deserving of
an equal relationship with your kids.

3) The right to protection of a jury.  The "state" needs to prove you
were a demonstrated serious and intentional threat to your child's
safety.

Not sure if that is what you meant?  When there is conflict, you would
like a Judge to decide what is in the best interest of your family?  A
child should immediately be appointed a lawyer while they still are
presumed to have two fit parents?  If you could explain a bit more
that would help me and others understand better.

NO RESPONSE

--- Janet <wintrywood@comcast.net>

> Many times I as a teen had to seek the help of police, neighbors,
> priests, to protect us from my dad's forms of discipline.  Just
> because you turned out ok doesn't mean all children will.  There is
> no need to use violence against children and parents that do need to
> learn new ways to deal with their children without violence.  Too
> many children are dying while their parents use violence because
> they either don't know any better and think its ok.  You were one of
> the lucky ones... Please don't promote violence against children
> just because you turned out ok.  Violence is always wrong!

Thanks for writing and sorry to hear about what happened... Family is
a very private and special thing... I acknowledge that in my case,
things could have also turned out very badly -- but that is an
inseparable part of having Life & Freedom.

About 'violence', by which I assume you mean physical force of one
against another?  The interactions of 'matter' have no moral value in
and of themselves, they are just physical events - not something with
intrinsic good or evil.  A razor strap hitting my butt has no
morality?  It is the intent of the rational being who puts the process
in motion, were they acting from love, from the dictates of a
well-formed conscience:

http://www.AKidsRight.Org/archive/archive2006/0007.html

My mom loved me very deeply --- you focus on one physical act and
would condemn her.  I dare say, if you were a social worker, and she
would have refused to stop spanking me in that matter --- would you
have separated us?  FORCED your moral decision onto another?  That is
the very problem with our present system. You want to set Speed
Limits, fine, but Gov't should not invade Family.

--- Brad Smith <papatopierre@yahoo.com>

--- Bob Allen <bobx23456@yahoo.com>

--- Paul Fisher <gyre46@mac.com>

--- Tess <moms43place@yahoo.com>

> this is definitely a case where social services should be taking
> this child out of the home and placing him in foster care, or with a
> healthy family member.  These parents should then be required to go
> to parenting classes, etc and if the child is let back in after some
> time, ss should make frequent unannounced visits and notify the
> school that they are to report any signs of abuse or hear anything
> bad from the boy.

... before I respond in full I wanted to make sure you read the entire
message all the way to end -- there was a bit of twist

NO RESPONSE

--- Stephen Metzger <icaworld@optonline.net>

--- "Head, Timothy" <THead@Entertainment.com>

--- "B. A. Townley" <Townley@cox.net>

--- "Conrad Orcheski" <cjo0@hotmail.com>

> Thank you John. That was an inspiring letter.

Thanks for writing.  I had been thinking about it for a while.
Whatever we experience as a child we see as 'normal'.  I always
thought everybody had old parents, I can still remember being
surprised that some of my friends had parents were so young -- what
inexperience!

Family is special and private. Gov't can't step in based on the law of
averages.  You wanna set Speed Limits, fine, but don't dictate family
life.

--- "Barbara C. Johnson" <barbaracjohnson@worldnet.att.net>

--- "David Arseneau" <Vincent52@Sympatico.Ca>

> We have Constitutional Rights, not Civil rights; Our rights are
> guaranteed under the U.S. Constitution, and not given to us by any
> Civil Authority.  Your story "made" my Good Friday, and that's what
> Good Friday IS all about....

Thanks for a kind message, perhaps it is time for a new right to be
protected.

--- Phil Father <phillyface@yahoo.com>

--- Rev. Brewer <aframo05@yahoo.com>

--- Sandra Carroll <sassysandic@yahoo.com>

> John there has always been 2 sides to the coin. We know that social
> services are needed in some cases. The question here is, is it in
> the best interest of the child to be removed from the home? We know
> this is what will happen. Or should there be programs implemented
> that will keep the child in home and retrain the parents,thereby
> encouraging them to provide a better atmosphere for the
> child. Perhaps this would not help and in the end the child would
> need other placement. But shouldn't there at least be a real chance
> for this family to grow and learn together.

Like you say, I think the community/Gov't should 'offer' help and
services to a family -- but they have no 'right' to force it unless
real harm has occurred.

In my story, things could have also turned out quite badly. I was
fortunate.  But family is a very special and private experience that
lasts our entire life.  Gov't can step in based on the 'law of
average' or what 'might happen.'  I could have been really hurt, but
that is the price of Life & Freedom.

--- Mark <mark@ivalenti.com>

--- xavier lane <fatheralienation@yahoo.com>

--- "Ramon Collins" <ramon_collins@hotmail.com>

---  Biggles <bigglesguy@yahoo.com>

--- "Jackie Unitt" <jackie.unitt@everyman.org>

---  Kriz Maxwell <triadd005@yahoo.com>

--- Luke <skipbrackett@mindspring.com>

> Just think, if the state had stepped in and put you in foster care
> you may not have survived like too many foster care children don't
> or you could have turned to a life of crime like too many children
> reared by the state do.  And if Abe Lincoln were a small child today
> and living in the same home environment he grew up in on the
> frontier of his day the state definitely would put him in foster
> care protecting his best interests of course.

I really am very lucky, and at the same time I admit that things could
also have turned out quite badly for me -- put that is the price we
pay for freedom.

Family is special and private, the gov't can't apply the law of
averages and saying we are going to interfere -- that is fine for
setting speed limits, but not taking a child from parents.

--
                                       John Murtari