Free from jail & get used to it!

From: John Murtari (jmurtari@AKidsRight.org)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2007 - 14:28:52 EDT

Good People & People of Faith,

Just got out of jail last Friday. It was good to hear that if your
sentence ends over a weekend, they let you go early!  I started this
message while there...  Need background:
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/clinton

Get used to it!
---------------
A single room, lots of noise, 45 men and 2 TVs without much space or
privacy -- get used to it.  It's so crowded they even put in steel
bunk beds.  The guy five feet away snores like a freight train ...
you gonna giv'm a shove and tell'm to roll over?  I don't think so --
you better get used to it.

Freight train got released and I've had some quiet nights.  That can
be worse for some because you can think.  What am I doing here!
Thoughts of regrets and wasted days and should-have-beens.

This may sound strange, but I haven't felt regret or that I did the
wrong thing, took the wrong path.... just gotta get used to it.

How about you?
--------------
Maybe you think you could never get used to it. Live part of your life
that way? Never!  Personally, I think many of you are lying.  Why?
Because you've already demonstrated an ability to live in a much worse
environment...

One of even greater pain, personal indignity and injustice.  You were
separated from your children and the tremendous beauty and love and
fulfillment that relationship 'can' bring.  But most of you GOT USED
TO IT!

Oh, in jail there are a lot of those 'coping' mechanisms.  You can
keep the outside noise turned up and just not think. You can live in
denial, or quiet acceptance, or explode in aggression.  A few choose
to 'hang up'. What about you -- how are you coping with injustice?

What we need.
------------
More action and less talk in our effort for reform. I'm really hoping
a few of you have NOT gotten used to being separated from your kids.
That you feel the pain fresh every day, but have not 'coped' by anger,
resignation, or forgetfullness.  I plan to resume 'our' efforts in
early January.  I hope some of you are getting close to making a
decision to come forward, to take real action for what you believe in.

Glad to accept the discomfort of jail and the life disruption it can
bring as a minor inconvenience compared to the loss of a normal life
with your kids.  Willing to sacrifice in an effort that may not
improve a thing with your kids, but may help others.

Why?
----
Because our goal is worth it. Because some good examples from history
say the method can be effective. Because real peace & joy can be found
when our actions correspond to the reality in which we live.

http://www.AKidsRight.Org/approach.htm

We have held up the ideal that people willing to demonstrate: Faith,
Love, and Personal Sacrifice can be the means of effective social
change. More specifically, that Parents can promote Family Law reform
by demonstrating:

1) Faith in a loving God,

2) Love for their children, former spouses, and other "brothers and
sisters", and

3) Willingness to make Personal Sacrifice,

NonViolent Action allows you to demonstrate through "unambiguous
physical action" the depth of your Faith and belief in your "cause."
It is a positive demonstration of love given at sometimes tremendous
personal cost.

Hope to see you in January!
--
                                       John Murtari