The Benefits of Equal Custody for the Child
Christian Fardel (submitted
This is my situation..If it can be of use pass it on...... This was sent
to our ministry of Justice ( France) and is sent through the web .....
...............For two years ,my 7 -year old
daughter shares a split residence between her mother's appartment and my
The advantages are numerous:
After school ,every monday, thursday,and one friday out of two,her
mother picks her up in school to bring he back in the morning.
Every tuesday ,wednesday and one Friday out of two ,I go pick her up in
school to bring her to school in the morning.
Her vacations are equally divided in two ,alternating from one year to
This split residence seems difficult to organize but it has
numerous advantages for the child ,as well as for each parent.
Of course detractors will denigrate this form of organization , but it has
FOR THE CHILD:
1. The happiness to find her parents every two days or so.
2. The happiness to have TWO houses ( two bedrooms ) when she seemed to have lost
3. The advantage to have everything in duplicate compared to other children,
books, toys, friends, computers, families, and so on....
4. The benefit from a DOUBLE education ( languages ,cultures ,and so on....).
5. The benefit from twice as much care ( each parent trying to be better in
catching up with the lost time when the child is with the other
6. To have TWO lifestyles..(clothing,culture ,hobbies...)
FOR EACH PARENT:
The advantage to be able to organize his/her life,by being a Part Time parent
by getting the most of it.
1. Find more time to spend with the child when he is there
2. But find the time to do NOTHING or EVERYTHING when he is not there
3. To follow his/her childs education more closely and more regularly.
4. To keep up with the childs behaviour,health or psychological balance.
5. AND most important ,to avoid to be taken away from the childs life, situation
with disastrous consequences, where violence finds its roots.
I noticed in my daughter:
- A permanent smile
- Very good results in school
- Excellent relations with school friends
- Excellent relations with me,and other adults.
- The happiness to see our old neighbour and his dog after a few days of absence.( The
same goes with her dolls ,Teddy bears and so on )....
Of course, this is not the perfect solution but it makes it easier to
correct the drawbacks , as necessary. Some people would say that it is detrimental for the
childs balance,but it is not true. Miltary personnals children travel and move
a lot without major consequences.
After parents separation ,as long as each parent can ,and gives his best to his/her
child, split-residence is the best a child can expect from the
community,and it should be the solution put forward in the childs best interest.
ENFANT ET SON DROIT ( Child and his Rights )