NationalPLC.Org

kidsnav.gif (4714 bytes)

Contact Us

[laws-list] New members/Draft Comments/Act Sponsors (RESEND)

From: Kids-Right (kidsrigh@thebook.com)
Date: Wed Oct 13 1999 - 09:10:16 EDT

http://www.kids-right.org/

To unsubscribe from this list at anytime, send email to
Majordomo@kids-right.org with the following 1 line in the
BODY of the message (Subject is ignored).

unsubscribe laws

To send a message to everyone on the list, just send to:
laws@kids-rights.org (you should get that if you hit that
address if you hit the REPLY button in your mail program).

Folks,

Didn't see too much activity from the last message. It appears there
was an error in the list processing. If you DID get the earlier
message, please just send an "I got it" message to:
webmaster@kids-right.org (thanks!)

We did send out a letter to Congressman Walsh
from Syracuse, NY to start the process. See the letter at:
http://www.kids-right.org/legislation_focus.htm

Welcome
-------
Welcome to the new members on the list. If you have never been
on an "open" mailing list before please review the instructions
which should appear right above this part of the message. Basically,
if you send a message to the list address (laws@kids-right.org),
everyone gets a copy automatically.

PLEASE, PLEASE review our site, especially our goal & approach,
http://www.kids-right.org/approach.htm, http://www.kids-right.org/civil.htm

If we are going to make a difference, we have to demonstrate a positive
attitude toward others, check out the first reading at:
http://www.kids-right.org/apsalm.htm

As a member of the group, please avoid "stereotypes", especially toward
your "ex". We all have our feelings of anger and betrayal (which is
expected) -- but can we still reach for the ideal?

Draft Comments
--------------
The goal of the next draft is to better define what "Unfit to Parent"
means. It is the standard which will be used if a parent is going
to have less than an equal relationship. You will have the right to
jury protection -- but we need clear examples to avoid "generous"
legal interpretations.

Everyone please do some soul searching and in your replies answer this
question -- which is the essence of the The Family Rights Act:

IF MY EX-SPOUSE AND I WERE NOW LIVING IN THE SAME AREA, WOULD
I BE HAPPY TO ENTER INTO A SHARED PHYSICAL/LEGAL CUSTODY ARRANGEMENT
WITH OUR CHILDREN -- ALTERNATING ONCE/WEEK? (present Act wording).

-- if the answer is YES (why, and describe some things about your "ex"
   that still make you say yes).

-- if the answer is NO (why, this would assume you consider them
   "UNFIT TO PARENT" -- examples of conduct).

Act Sponsors
We are right now working on setting up a meeting with Congressman
Walsh, Syracuse, NY. If you are near this area please let us know.
webmaster@kids-right.org

You may want to look at our member support page,
http://www.kids-right.org/member.php3 and look for people in your area,
maybe try emailing them to meet your local Representative.