NationalPLC.Org

kidsnav.gif (4714 bytes)

Contact Us

Oct 15th: News & Planning

From: John Murtari (jmurtari@akidsright.org)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 10:58:06 EDT

http://www.kids-right.org/

To unsubscribe from this list at anytime, send email to
Majordomo@kids-right.org with the following 1 line in the
BODY of the message (Subject is ignored).

unsubscribe members

Good People & Friends,

Week before last I finished a quite weekend on retreat at a local
Monastery. Can you believe three days with NO tv, radio, or newspapers?
Last weekend I flew out West with my Mom (now 85), to see my son
Domenic -- it was a great time! Next Monday, Oct 15th, I will walk into
the Syracuse Federal Building carrying a picture of Domenic (I won't
repeat all the details and planning of that, just go to
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/actionb_syr).

The beginning of this message has some important information about
next Monday, I hope you will take the time to read it.

[IMPORTANT NOTE - I was just finishing this yesterday afternoon when I
received a phone call from a local aid of Senator Charles Schumer
(D-NY). They had received a copy of the letter sent to the Building
Manager and we had a nice conversation, about 30 minutes. We both
agreed that the reason no action is being taken on this issue is just
"priority."  They have a limited amount of legislative staff and
unfortunately it just isn't seen as an important issue that a lot of
people have expressed interest in.  THIS IS OUR JOB.

We have contact info for the three legislators below. I'd like to
say we have had good response from the offices of Senator Schumer
and also Congressman Walsh (He always give us a reply letter -- even
if he does disagree).  The only office just not making contact, even
after a FedEx letter, is that of Senator Clinton. We ask you to make
contacting her a first priority.]

               --------  OCTOBER 15th  ----------

This list messages reaches several thousand people who are concerned
about Family Law Reform and many of you are leaders and future leaders
of this effort.  The AKidsRight.Org site is an "experiment" in
NonViolent Action as one tool in the reform process.  Crucial parts in
this approach are Faith, Love, and Sacrifice.  We are trying to model
our actions on successful movements from the past. The site documents
specifically what we have tried, and what has happened.

So far NonViolent Action has exceeded expectations!  Last year, I
never dreamed I would be allowed to carry a picture of my son in both
our County Courthouse and Federal Building (every person I talked to,
including Lawyers, thought that would never be allowed).  BUT, it only
took about 15 arrests firsts.

As I think of myself, I am not being 'altruistic' in my motiviation. I
have sacrificed because of what has happened to my child.  I would
have probably even been satisfied as a "minority" parent. But when he
was relocated to the other side of the Country, I was forced to act.

Some of you will be in a position to make even greater sacrifices to
move things forward.  I am always amazed by the adults (who have no
children), but are seriously involved in reform.  Some of you will be
able to reach so many more people, because you are clearly doing it
for others.  There are also those of you with adult children (who are
completely alienated from you) -- Some of you will sacrifice for a
reward you may never enjoy, but for others.

This Spring another step in the MODEL of NonViolent Action fell into
place.  There was still one person involved in risking arrest, but
others were there as quiet observers.  I'm sure this made a strong
impact on local officials who threatened arrest, but then backed
off. For details on that see: http://www.AKidsRight.Org/action_syr

Right now one other parent has committed to coming as an observer, and
to help drop off your pictures and stories at the offices of our
members of Congress.  You taking the time to be present will be
crucial in three ways:

1) It will help keep the folks carrying pictures from arrest (maybe just
me!).
2) It will make it very clear to the members of Congress that Family
Law Reform is a National issue.  Right now they are just ignoring us
and can you really blame them?

Lastly, it will give some of us a chance to meet face-to-face. I have
"interacted" with so many of you via E-mail, but there is no
substitute for a handshake and a smile! Syracuse is only 8 hours from
Washington, DC or from Dayton, Ohio -- even closer to Boston.  We have
a block of rooms (see above link for details), take a drive up here
Sunday (you can also enjoy the fall foliage - now at its peak
locally!)  We will get together for dinner together on Sunday Night
and then meet in a local Library on Monday morning and go to the
Federal Building at around 1 PM.It is a very similar agenda to an
event we held this Spring and it seemed to work very well.

On the 15th we will try again. The issue bringing us there is clear,
we have some Members of Congress who are waiting to see us demonstate
the importance of the issue.  I will be walking outside their offices
for the simple reason that they haven't invited us inside ("us" being
loving parents who just want an equal relationship with their
kids). As part of our political process we have to demonstrate to them
that National Family Law reform is a very important issue.

I am very careful about expectations, but I have no doubt that if one
other mother and father joined me in walking with a picture of their
children (or those of others) -- it would become a media event. This
is what can make real change possible very quickly and can start a
grass roots effort across the country.  We will not use it as an
opportunity to "skewer" Senator Clinton and others (she is probably
not even aware that local staff is just ignoring us). But her staff
will have to answer the hard question, "Why aren't you at least
talking to these people to at least find out what they want?  Isn't
that your job as an elected representative?"

Then the power of NonViolent Action can be seen.  BECAUSE we have been
courteous and respectful in all our prior contact with them, and
BECAUSE we are not spitting venom at our former spouses, lawyers, and
judges -- we will be hard to dismiss as 'crack pots.'

MOST of all, BECAUSE we are not using the political opportunity to say
nasty things about them -- they will be encouraged to reexamine their
own feelings about "us" and these issues.

So PLEASE, try to make time and take the trip.  If you can't make it
in person please just pick up the phone or fax a personal message to
their local representatives. They have already received a copy of the
letter we sent to the Building Manager letting them know we will be
there on the 15th. The MESSAGE should not be one of anger, but merely
to say to them, "We need Congressional hearings into reform. Please,
why don't you take the time to listen to us instead of having someone
face arrest in the hallway.  We are parents who love our children and
we feel serious reform is necessary..."  Here is the contact info
(please contact in the order below and let us know if you do, we will
post the info at the site):

1. Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton: Local rep, Cathy Calhoun,
   tel: 315-448-0470, fax: 315-448-0476
2. Senator Charles Schumer: Local rep, Jill Harvey,
   tel: 315-423-5471, fax: 315-423-5185
3. Congressman James Walsh: Local office
   tel: 315-423-5657  fax: 315-423-5669