NationalPLC.Org

kidsnav.gif (4714 bytes)

Contact Us

Your Feedback & Oct 15th Planning & Pictures

From: Webmaster (webmaster@kids-right.org)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 12:10:27 EDT

http://www.kids-right.org/

To unsubscribe from this list at anytime, send email to
Majordomo@kids-right.org with the following 1 line in the
BODY of the message (Subject is ignored).

unsubscribe members

Good People,

 This message contains your feedback from our last list message.
But we will begin with a few important items for your review:

1. Send in your Picture  - they will be personally delivered.
2. Letter to Syracuse Federal Building Manager  - Oct. 15 event.
3. Event planning in California  - you are welcome!
4. World Trade Center Attack - could you see your kids?
5. Your FeedBack - ouch!

1. Send in your Picture
-----------------------
As we did earlier this year, we encourage you to send us a color photo
of you and your children along with a personal letter that lets our
members of Congress know that you love your children and National
reform is needed.  They must arrive here by Friday, October 12th.

We used similar photos this Spring and found them VERY effective in
personalizing the need for reform.  They were kept by the staff members,
most people got a personal reply, and maybe someday you will have the
opportunity to tell of your love to a Congressional Committee.

Send your photos and letters to:
        Software Workshop Inc.
        Att: AKidsRight.Org
        55 E.Genesee Street
        Baldwinsville, NY  13027

We are trying to get Senator Charles Schumer, Hillary Rodham Clinton,
and Congressman James Walsh to help us in sponsoring a bill for reform.
You can send us 1-3 copies of your photos and letter, please address
them to the specific person.  For more details see letter below and:
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/actionb_syr

2. Letter to the Syracuse Federal Building Manager - Oct 15th
The following was just sent out in preparation for our event on
the 15th. Our goals was to be polite, let them know we were coming,
and also make the people who are our 'representatives' in Congress
know that we need their help (and all of this could have been
avoided if they would just start talking to us).

---------------
Building Manager
Hanley Federal Building
100 S. Clinton Street
Syracuse, NY 13261                                2 October 2001

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am a coordinator for a group of parents who are seeking Civil Rights
legislation to recognize and protect the basic right of parents and
children to be together.  On Monday, October 15th, our group is having
a meeting in Syracuse and we will be paying a visit to the offices of
our Federal Representatives: Senators Schumer and Clinton, and
Representative Walsh.

Some of our group will also spend a few hours outside their offices in
another form of petition, by quietly walking with pictures of our
children.  There will be NO interference with building operation or
access or traffic flow.  As I did in an earlier event this Spring and
last year, we will stay out of people's way.  I hope to avoid any
problems with security staff and as a courtesy wanted to alert you to
our presence.  Last year, after all Federal and State charges of
trespass, etc, were dropped against me, it was understood that such
peaceful action was protected.

Some people have expressed concerns over heightened security after the
awful tragedy which occurred last month.  I certainly hope that is not
used as an excuse for taking action against parents petitioning their
government representatives for serious reform.  Indeed, we hope our
use of NonViolent Action can be seen as an example of the proper way
to petition for social change.  We treat all people with courtesy and
respect - but we also deeply love and seek an equal relationship with
our children.

We had hoped such an effort would not be necessary after meetings this
spring.  That we would already have been in serious discussion about
the nature and wording of a Family Rights Act; however, it appears our
members of Congress do not perceive this as an important issue (and I
can appreciate the fact they have very busy schedules).  As part of a
positive political process we hope to show them how very, very
important this issue is to many people.  We hope they will soon find
time to discuss the need for serious reform in our nations family law
system.

I am happy to speak with you if you have any questions.

       Best regards,

       John Murtari
       AKidsRight.Org
       635-1968, x-211
CC: Senator Charles Schumer
CC: Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton
CC: Congressman James Walsh

3. Event Planning in California
-------------------------------
Jennifer Miller is working on coordinating a similar effort to
what will be held in Syracuse for out in California (date later in
October).  So far about 4 or 5 people have contacted her, if you
are interested you can reach her at: mtrustno1@yahoo.com

PLEASE, take the time to contact your local Congressional
Representatives.  Let them know how you feel.  They are suppose to be
working for you!

4. World Trade Center Attack -- Could you see your kids?
We were contacted by Courtney (Lawgal1035@aol.com) -- her message
is below (PLEASE contact her directly):

I may have some type of interest at the Boston Globe for a story like
this.....  It would be helpful, if you could help me collect this
info. Was wondering if you would consider running a poll of people on
your newsletter list.

I was speaking to an attorney last night.  She told me when
non-custodial parents heard about the NY and Washington, D.C. attacks
that she received calls from everyone trying to see their kids.

I would like to collect numbers at this point, rather than names, of
parents who were or have been deprived of seeing, or spending
significant amounts of time with their kids since the September 11th
attacks......  Has the family Court anywhere opened up their hearts or
minds in the face of apolcalyptic terror?

Once we can get some numbers.....then, how about information on how
long it took for the NCP to see their child, and how much time they
got to spend with them for the last couple of weeks....

I would also like some gender numbers too......

Geographical info., including which state they are in, would be
helpful......

I may be pitching an article to a newspaper in the coming days and
would like some raw stats.....Maybe, our voices could be heard with a
Family Day Across America to pay tribute to all the children who lost
parents in the WTC.

Thanks for your help.......

E-mail me at LawGal1035@aol.com.

5. Your Feedback
----------------
We had some good comments on our last list message, to read it please
go to: http://www.AKidsRight.Org/archive/archive2001 (Sep 25)

But we did get a few 'zingers', some people thought we were being
politically incorrect (or worse).  Is it okay to be rude toward
someone who you think (or actually may be) a racist, sexist, or
whatever?  How many of us have been pigeon holed by Judges, Law
Guardians or Psychologists who didn't have the whole story -- but yet
we are so ready to do the same to others?

The analogy we use between family law reform and desegregation is a
powerful one.  If the Blacks in Montgomery Alabama, forced to ride in
the back of the bus -- had asked for a reversal, "We should be in
front, put the Whites in the back!" -- what would have happened?

As WE prepare to testify before the United States Congress for reform,
what do you think the response will be to your testimony if part of
your solution is, "give me the children, I won't share an equal
relationship with the other parent."

----  Ed

Are you nuts? What were you thinking when you wrote this e-mail? I
found your use (regardless of its context) of the "N" word unnecessary
and offensive. Indeed, I am hardpressed to concieve of any scenario
where use of the "N" word would be considered appropriate. I'm not
certain what you were attempting to accomplish with this e-mail. The
courts discrimination and neglect of NCP's and their children is
heinous enough without trying to play the race card. The facts
themselves are pursuasive, the family courts are corrupt, the family
court system is the last bastion of state sponsored
discrimination. The fact that (in Texas) there is 1 practicing
attorney for every 300 living Texans is the clearest indication of a
legal system run amuck.

---- SteelHead

I find your use of a racial slur (masked as some sort of symbol to be
repugnant) You will remove credibility of this group by labeling it an
extremist or fringe group. (And I think you just like saying the word)
I have to ask for an apology and your word that this slur will not be
used any longer or I shall not only remove myself from this group but
also make every effort to show you for the extremist that you are. I
shall make those interested in true reform aware of your actions so
that they may avoid you in favor of a fathers & children's rights
group with an honest agenda and distance themselves from you.

----  William  ---- wls@redshift.com

Parental equality is the only way to ensure that a child gets the full
benefits of both parents: parenting cannot be partial or half-way.
There is no more reason to create a privileged class of `better
parents' than there is any other peerage: if a parent is genuinely
abusive, his/her parental rights should be terminated in full
accordance with due process.

The problems of a concluded or failed, past intimate relationship
between parents in no way absolve a parent of the responsibility to
uphold the child's relationship with the other parent, just as no
extenuating circumstances mitigate a parent's duty to feed, shelter,
and educate his or her children.

----  Yvonne  ---- Vonsck@aol.com

I was granted a divorce by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in May of
2000 with joint custody of my two sons, Brian -age 16 and Richard -
age 14.  My frustration in the system is simple.  Where are these
Guardian-at-litems coming from?  My ex-husband was able to keep the
home and the children to remain living with him.  The GAL "tipped " in
favor of my ex-husband because he realized after meeting with him that
he is in need of counselling.  His words exactly were "I tip in favor
of Robert Cook due to his emotional instability.  It would be too much
for Mr. Cook to endure if he looses his wife, children and home."
What about two children living in a home with an unstable father?  A
year and a half after the divorce, my ex remains hostile. I was
recently back in court.  My ex was seeking sole custody and he WAS NOT
awarded such.  I did win my rights to continue joint custody of these
two wonderful boys.

---- Tammy & Harry ---- TLSAssoc@aol.com

Not now, nor ever is the time to stand down in this. Feeling
compassion for vicitms in New York or anywhere in the world should
never put our own children at anymore risk than these government jerks
are already doing.

Our own daughter has been physically injured at least five times in
the last month and a half in the current group home, and even though
she tells us about most of the injuries, we feel she is lying to
protect someone as to the cause of the injuries. During our last visit
with her I saw a large bruise which se had not mentioned on her side,
while she was hugging her dad before we had to part for the next
painful week. She said it happened while she was playing tag football,
but it looks very much like someone punched her in her side. She also
had a smashed thumb that same day, which she said happened at school
while she was playing a game called "Mercy" with another student. If
any of you know this twisted game, you will know it would not cause a
smashed finger or thumb. Labor day wekend, she got a large bruise on
one hip, and a ripped toe nail. She gave reasons/causes, but again we
feel she was protecting someone. Oh, and the visit following that
weekend I saw skinned places on her knuckles, which she told me she
got during a fight, and when I asked her who she had been in a fight
with, she said her brother. This is a brother she hadn't seen in a
month, and the sores were not present on her hand during the previous
two visits.

Even though, her intake caseworker knew about these injuries, as far
as we know, she has not been to a doctor for any. Though, we're not
being told one way or another, since said caseworker has taken it upon
herself to isolate us as much as she can possibly get away with.

No, I say again this battle should not be haulted nor ever stopped. We
will do what we can to help.