NationalPLC.Org

kidsnav.gif (4714 bytes)

Contact Us

Legal Updates / Petitioning a Senator / Leadership / The Lighter Side

From: Webmaster (webmaster@AKidsRight.org)
Date: Mon Jan 13 2003 - 07:54:16 EST

Unsubscribe instructions at bottom of message.

Good People & People of Faith:

This message contains info on:
1. Steve Osborne from Canada - delay in "No Big Lies" trial.
2. US Senator meets with constituents - we want broadband service!
3. Success & Realism - what type of effort will reform take.
4. Petitioning Senator Clinton - Contempt Hearing
5. The lighter side -  sound like your "psych" eval?

1. Steve Osborne from Canada - delay in "No Big Lies" trial.

Submitted by Steve Osborne (steve@NoBigLies.org), http://www.NoBigLies.Org/

Trial postponed at the very least, more than likely cancelled all together.

On December 30th I was in court argueing applications to quash
subpoenas.  6 parties brought applications to quash: Martin Cauchon,
Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada; Beverly McLachlin,
Chief Justice of Canada; David Smith, Chief Justice of the Court of
Queen's Bench of New Brunswick; Weldon Graser, of the Court of Queen's
Bench of New Brunswick, Family Division, in the Judicial District of
Saint John; R. James Williams, Nova Scotia Superior Court, Family
Division, Halifax, Nova Scotia; and Jeannie Thomas, the Executive
Director of the Canadain Judicial Council.

I consented to quashing the subpoenas for Martin Cauchon and David
Smith after negotiations with their attornies generated the
information I had requested.

All the rest were quashed by order of the Court after arguments.

Once that was dealt with the trial judge dismissed the lawyer for the
applicants and kept the prosecutor and I there, and ordered what he
called a "temporary stay of proceedings", a precedent setting move in
Canada.  There ain't no such animal as a temporary stay.  He said that
he had given the matter a great deal of thought and in order to
protect my right to a fair trial he had to order that monies be made
available to me for out-of-province defence counsel.  He said it was
apparent to him that I didn't understand the defences available to me
and the type of evidence neccessary to present them, and that it would
almost impossible to go through a jury trial with some semblance of
fairness and control of the process with me acting for myself, though
I have the right to do so.

Mr. Justice McIntyre also said he can't allow me to put the whole of
the judiciary and the family court on trial.............  Wonder why
that might be, eh????????

The stay becomes permanent at 4 p.m. on February 7th if no monies are
available for a lawyer for me.

What a great way out - they try to make me look like I don't
understand what's what and keep protectionism alive and well in Canada
at the same time.

I raised the Constitutional issue related to the section of the
Criminal Code I'm alleged to have contravened for the first time in
submissions this trip to the matt.  The opposing lawyer suggested the
subpoenas were an abuse of process, so I responded with the fact we
were there dealing with a section of the code that been been declared
to be of no force and effect by superior courts in Canada already, and
that people that lived in glass houses should not throw rocks.

So, it might all be done on February 7th, 2003, at 4 p.m.  If that
happens I am entitled to my costs, and that has to be done by motion.

2. US Senator meets with constituents - we want broadband service!
There was an interesting news story on a local NPR station a few weeks
ago. It originated in the rural Finger Lakes region of New York State
-- and announced that US Senator Charles Schumer had met personally
with a group of local constituents who were tired of dial-up modem
service in their rural area and wanted broadband.  Imagine that!

http://schumer.senate.gov/SchumerWebsite/pressroom/press_releases/PR01365.ht
ml

Every Amercian has a right to broadband service!  Sometimes we as
parents are so "humble" in asking for action from our members of
Congress.  They will meet with us -- but first we have to believe
ourselves.

3. Success/Realism - what type of effort will it take.
This list reaches a lot of people concerned with reform, many of
you are "leaders" in the movement.  The following text from a
best-selling author may help us all keep perspective and encourage
growth in our efforts.   It may help overcome a common sequence:

a. Parent is treated badly in Court.
b. Parent gets very motivated for reform, attends meetings, etc...
c. After a few months/years.  Parent realizes their efforts aren't
having an "effect."  Drops out.  Other "life" issues become more
important.

-------
A former POW (Admiral Stockdale, one of the longest held Americans in
Vietnam and a strong leader among our POWs) may have a good summary of
what it takes to succeed: "You must maintain unwavering faith that you
can and will prevail in the end, regardless of the difficulties, AND
at the same time have the discipline to confront the most brutal facts
of your current reality..."

When asked how he dealt with being a POW and not know when or IF he
would ever be released, "I never doubted not only that I would get
out, but also that I would prevail in the end and turn the experience
into the defining event of my life, which, in retrospect, I would not
trade...."

Probably the most surprising insite, was when he was asked about what
type of prisoner did not survive captivity:

"On, that's easy," he said.  "The optimists...... They were the ones
who said, 'We're going to be out by Christmas.' And Christmas would
come, and Christmas would go.  Then they'd say, 'We're going to be out
by Easter.'  And Easter would come and Easter would go....And they
died of a broken heart...... This is a very important lesson. You must
never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end -- which you can
never afford to lose -- with the discripline to confront the most
brutal facts of your current reality."

Life is unfair -- sometimes to our disadvantage, sometimes to our
advantage.....What separates people is how they deal with the
inevitable difficulties of life....
---------

>From the National Bestseller, "Good to Great"  by Jim Collins -- a book
not about personal development or psychology, but a book about how
Good Companies become Great Companies, including extensive
financial analysis....this chapter focused on Leadership.

4.   Petitioning Senator Clinton - Contempt Hearing
John Murtari has a couple of appearances this week in front of Federal
Magistrate DiBiano.  The most important of which is regarding
potentially being held in contempt for violating the Judges order
regarding conduct in the Hanley Federal Building.  Below is a summary
of documents (you can click on the link to see the actual document):
Check http://www.AKidsRight.Org/actionc_syr

* DRAFT of Federal Appeal (We hope you will find in an excellent summary
of what went wrong in Court.  The first level of appeal is to a US
District Court Judge.  The next level of appeal, if necessary, would
be the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals.

* Judges order regarding "no protesting" (page 1, page 2).

* John's letter asking for a "stay."  (Returned with no action, should
have been from attorney. Will try again.)

* Request by US Attorney to have John held in contempt (page 1, page 2, page
3).

* Order to Show Cause issued by Judge (page1, page 2).

5.   The Lighter Side -  sound like your "psych" eval?
For those of you who have been through the indignity of a
"psychological evaluation" to determine if you should be a parent to
your children, or who would be the "better" parent to your children --
you may appreciate what happened to Gayle Wenzel below. This story is
not real.  We shouldn't have to tell you that -- but the way things
are, you might just believe it?

Keeping a sense of humor is so essential for us all.  We welcome
your submissions to "The Lighter Side".

NORTH CALDWELL, NJ-Area resident Gayle Wenzel, 44, was declared
legally insane Monday after becoming upset over a living-room mess
caused by her husband Milt's Friday-night get-together with friends.

"Apparently, Gayle came home after being gone all weekend, saw the
condition of the living room, and just completely lost it," said
Dr. Marvin Schaffer, director of hysteriatrics at St. Joseph's
Hospital in nearby Montclair.  "This is clearly a clinically psychotic
individual who has no grip on reality and no control over her own
actions or emotions. You know how women get."

Wenzel, who insists that she was "only mad for about two minutes," is
currently under 24-hour watch at St. Joseph's.

According to Milt, on Sunday evening, Gayle returned home after
spending four days in Kansas City helping her sister recover from back
surgery. Upon entering the living room, she found empty beer cans
scattered across the floor, an ashtray overturned on the rug, and a
pile of dirty dishes on the end table next to the couch.

"Gayle asked me what happened. I told her that some of the guys came
over Friday night, but that I didn't clean up because I couldn't find
the vacuum cleaner," Milt said. "That's when she went nuts."

"You left that mess for me to clean up. You had zero intention of ever
doing it yourself, Milt," Wenzel reportedly yelled like a
lunatic. "Well, I'm not touching it. I've spent the entire day in
airports, and I have to be up for work at 6 a.m. tomorrow. You clean
it."

Milt said that all of his many attempts to make his psychotic wife
listen to reason failed.

"Gayle was out of her mind," Milt said. "I was pleading with her,
'Honey, calm down. What's the big deal? You're acting insane. Get it
together.' But she just kept freaking out."

Twenty minutes later, after putting her bags away and showering,
Wenzel went back downstairs to discover a team of emergency medical
technicians and crisis-intervention counselors waiting for her. After
placing Wenzel in restraints and rushing her to St. Joseph's Hospital,
doctors were able to administer a strong sedative.

"I had to do something to ensure that Gayle wouldn't harm herself or
others," said Dr. Gilbert Perry, who handled Wenzel's hospital
admission.  "Gayle was out of her mind. I mean, come on, a few beer
cans lying around and she completely goes off the deep end? As soon as
I learned that the outburst was not menstruation-related, as I'd
initially assumed, I ordered her hospitalized. I couldn't let an
unbalanced, over-emotional woman like that out on the streets."

Wenzel has allegedly had a long history of out-of-control behavior,
particularly at work. According to coworkers, she has reacted
irrationally to everything from having to work weekends to having her
assigned parking spot taken away.

"Last week, I made a little friendly joke about the dark hair on
Gayle's upper lip by calling her Tom Selleck," said Stuart Runnels, a
fellow claims processor at Mid-American Insurance. "You should've seen