NationalPLC.Org

kidsnav.gif (4714 bytes)

Contact Us

Status of Events in Syracuse, Texas, and New York / Dialog on the MDM

From: Webmaster (webmaster@kids-right.org)
Date: Thu Apr 10 2003 - 14:40:19 EDT

Unsubscribe instructions at bottom of message.

Good People & People of Faith:

This message contains info on:
1. NonViolent Action in Syracuse - delayed.
2. New Petition Photos - how about yours?
3. Events in New York & Texas - what happened.
4. Million Dad March - Dialog.

1. NonViolent Action in Syracuse - delayed.
There has been a delay in the schedule.  John Murtari was coordinating
this effort and he has had to pause for a while.  For a current update
you can check the site (there has been a lot of legal activity),
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/actionc_syr

2. New Petition Photos - how about yours?
outside of Senator Clinton's office when our efforts resume.  Check
here:
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/actionc_syr/petitions.htm

3. Events in New York & Texas - what happened.
A past list message (http://www.kids-right.org/archive/archive2003/0010.html)
had notes on the following events. We would appreciate anyone writing
in who has knowledge of what happened.  Were they effective? Send your
message to: webmaster@AKidsRight.Org:

Texas:

> 1.)  Demonstrate on Jim Loose's behalf the date that he files on
> federal court.  We will bring attention to the plight of non-
> custodial parents' (NCPs) loss of our Constitutional rights to
> parent our children.  Our opponents?  NOT women.  Rather, our
> opponents are a corrupt divorce industry and "black robes" who do
> not carry out the spirit of the law nor their oath to support the
> Constitution.

> 2.)  We will meet outside the federal court building in Ft. Worth,
> Texas on Monday, April 7th, 2003 about 9:30 A.M. and the press will
> have been previously

> 5.)  We will then peacefully march out in the street, put on our
> body bags, and hold up traffic which will bring us press helicopters
> and more mass media. We will passively resist but, eventually leave
> the street prior to any arrests.

New York:

> The Coalition of Fathers and Families New York, Inc., is proud to
> sponsor this year's Legislative Education and Awareness Day in
> Albany, New York.  As in the past, this year's event will take place
> in the "well" of the Legislative Office Building on State Street,
> directly across from the Capitol, in downtown Albany.  It will begin
> at 9:00 a.m. and continue through until 4:00 p.m., with a press
> conference scheduled from 11:00 a.m. until noon.  The date is
> Tuesday, April 1st.

4. Million Dad March - FEEDBACK
--------------------------------
The following is a dialog we wanted to share with all of you regarding
an upcoming event.  We welcome your thoughts.

John Murtari <jmurtari@akidsright.org> wrote (remarks prefaced by >):

> I got a copy of your message, saw you mention the two day plan?  I
> went to the web site, thought I clicked around a lot, but really
> couldn't find any type of detailed schedule?  Is there one there for
> the events in DC with places/times?

Thomas Lessman <milliondadsmarch@yahoo.com>, Chairman, the Million Dads March Inc.
www.milliondadsmarch.org replies:

Details are being worked out.  Some things have been adapted as more
groups come on board.  As it currently exists, events will be on
Saturday and Sunday, June 14th and 15th.  Saturday events will center
in the Mall area of DC, and will be more in the nature of celebrations
of fatherhood, and promotion of services designed to help fathers,
such as parenting classes, charities, etc.

Sunday events will center on the Capitol area of DC, and will be more
in the nature of protesting.  Any group that wishes to protest is
encouraged to do so on this day.  There will be speeches and other
events. Any group that wishes to participate in the March is
encouraged to plan their own involvement.  If you wish to have a
special display for your group (i.e. to inform about your work and how
to join your group, etc.) then simply send me an email, at
chairman@milliondadsmarch.org, to apply.  The only requirement is that
preaching of hate is not tolerated.

Some groups will be there both days, as we,ve got the permits for the
capitol and the mall areas in DC for both days.  While the
celebrations are going on Saturday on the Mall, some groups will be
protesting, and visa-versa.  Focus will be on the celebrations on
Saturday, and the protests on Sunday.

> I do hope you get a good turn out. I've managed to get down there
> the last 3 years and been disappointed by what appeared to be
> declining participation.  Actually, the first year, parents and
> their kids got to march down Pennsylvania Avenue and it was pretty
> good.  Everyone seemed to enjoy it and the kids got to see their
> parents acting for what they believe in -- pretty nice!  I sure
> don't want to "rain on the parade", but these may be some things to
> think about for future plans?

I,ve heard actually that you,ve been there for 3 years, and I have to
say: John, I appreciate the commitment you have shown to the cause!
Not too many people will do that, and that,s sad because it is exactly
that kind of commitment that the movement needs in order to succeed!

The previous events were not Million Dads March events, but were
instead run by other groups, many of whom are now working with us.
It,s important to note that the Million Dads March is not an
organization like ACFC, or NCFC, the National Fatherhood Initiative,
or others.  We are an organization dedicated to creating and
organizing events for the civil rights movement we are all in.  MDM is
made up of volunteers and staff who work to help other groups promote
their events.  Our only requirement is that they help us help them.

> I'd like to get your feelings on a couple of things.  I saw the word
> "Civil Rights" on the site.  It sound good and I think it is very
> true -- but what exactly does that mean to you in concrete terms?
> Is it a guy thing or something that will apply to both mothers and
> fathers?  I like the idea of inviting different groups -- but I'm
> note sure if you should all be together?  What is the real focus?

There are two different focuses for the two different days;
celebrations and demonstrations.  Fathers and fatherhood will be the
primary focus, as will children and families.  After all, three of
them (as well as motherhood) are vital aspects of society.  All of
these combined, kept healthy; ensure the survival of our society.

Fathers have received a very bad rap in society.  With a corrupt court
family court system that makes money by destroying families, and
radical feminists who revel in the misery and hatred they are spewing,
we must ALL work together, before it really is too late!

So the focus of the March is 3-fold: 1) Bring attention to fathering
and family issues, 2) Let the world know of our growing civil rights
movement, which has been largely kept silent over the years, and 3)
Bring leaders and members of our combined movement together so that we
can begin working together.

> * Equal parenting after divorce, 50/50 time -- I would think that is
> it, but I know a lot of large "men's" groups that don't have that as
> a goal?  Some don't think it practical or that a week with mom/week
> with dad is not good for the child?

I personally support equal parenting.  Some people don't.  They are
still in the same movement as I am, and between us we can work out
differences as they come up.  But first we must work together on
mutual goals.  Almost every men's group that I know of DOES support
equal parenting.  It's a basic cornerstone of the movement, equality.
I think that is definitely better for children than the gross abuses
committed in family courts nowadays, where children and fathers are so
traumatized that their lives are forever disrupted.  >

> * What about relocation?  If you are a 50/50 person, then relocation
> can put a burden on one parent?

That's for us to decide when we all can cooperate well enough to put
our other issues behind us.  Until we can work together on mutual
projects, cooperation on differences is impossible.  While we fail to
cooperate on mutual goals, we continue to fail our mission.  >

> * How strong is the protection of the parent/child bond?  Is it left
> up to a mediator to decided, or a professional psych eval.  Do you
> get a jury of your peers?

I personally distrust mediators, and all other hangers-on of the
divorce industry.  We are talking about people who make money off of
the trauma caused to families and children.  Most mediators etc. that
I've known have all taken classes on women's studies to get their
degree.  None have taken a class in men's studies.  This is yet
another unequal situation, which causes mediators to be against men
and fathers from the start.

ONLY a jury should be able to sever parental rights against the wishes
of the parent.  The current ways are too secretive, and allow abuses
to happen easily.  Family courts need to be forced out into the open,
where abuses can be easily discovered.  Punishments need to be
enforced, for situations where officials abused their authority or
power.

The family is a sacred building block of our society.  We must not
make it so easy for people to prey on families, and destroy them, for
their own enrichment.

> I think the answers to the above turn on what the
> "Civil Right" is you are talking about?

The civil rights I speak of are the rights to equal access and
influence on our children.  The right to protect and be involved in
our families.  The right to stop abusive government officials and stop
the hate that radical feminists preach against men and families.

Theoretically we already have those rights.  Several amendments are in
the constitution to prevent unwarranted search and seizure, equal
rights, etc. and so on.  Well, theoretically Martin Luther King
Jr. had the rights he was fighting for.  They just weren't recognized.
We are in the same predicament ourselves.  >

> Celebrating Father's day is a great thing. Celebrating Mother's day
> is a great thing. But to the extent the goals are to reform Family
> Law -- you can't help but increase participation and get more people
> together by eventually planning a Million Parents March (MPM) -- and
> scheduling it on BOTH Mother's Day and Father's Day.

A Million Parents March may someday happen.  It depends on how things
go.  Currently there are gross inequalities that fathers face, and
children too.  It seems the only people who have any "rights" to
children are mothers and the government.  Children hardly have any
rights for themselves!

We do not wish to denigrate or deny the value of good motherhood.
Mothers are every bit as important as fathers.  Why is this not
currently recognized?  There are several reasons, but for over 40
years fathers have been under constant attack.  We need to defend
fatherhood from the enemies determined to destroy it.  This is one of
the major points of having the Million Dads March.  Mothers have all
the support and funding and attention they need.  It's time we did
both fathers and children right by supporting them equally with
mothers.

> Everyone on this message is pretty sharp. Surely you realize the
> greatest diversion opponents to reform have is to cast it as Men
> v. Women and Mom v. Dad.  I went to other areas of the site and I
> saw that the problem was "radical feminists".  I think that stuff
> has got to go?

There is a difference, in my mind, between radical feminists and
original feminists.  Original feminists worked for equality.  They
believed that women were oppressed, which was true in some ways.
Radical feminists took this several steps further.  They are
determined that men are the enemy, and that some form of "Patriarchal
conspiracy" exists to subordinate women.  This isn't true and never
has been, but it doesn't stop them from spewing hatred of men
(misandry).  They also have to be stopped in order to save families
from the destruction their hatred brings.

>         This is something that was discussed at the other
> events, the lack of focus, a clear goal. Other Civil rights
> movements have had that -- we seem to still lack it?  If you
> could get a Civil Rights' Act passed -- what would it say?
> What are the core issues?

I have several issues that I would like to see passed.  That's not the
purpose of the March.  We hope to bring together several organizations
and groups with various goals.  The purpose of that is to get them in
an environment where they can work together towards mutual goals.
Only by working together, communicating, organizing, and cooperating
can we hope to pass anything!

> WHOA!  I went back to the site and saw the separation of events
> for Saturday and Sunday.  I'm not sure who Erik is, but I have
> to agree with him. It is creating two classes and just doesn't
> sound good.  It makes Saturday sound like it would be bad for
> kids?  Like I said above, kids have a great time in a march. I
> assume no one plans of tipping cars over or having an obscene
> chant?

I'm not sure how you get the impression that we are creating two
classes.  They already exist, except that instead of two classes there
are a dozen.  The groups in Saturday's events will be groups who have
some sort of service to offer fathers and children.  For example, many
responsible fatherhood groups have parenting classes that teach
fathers better ways to be fathers.  I've attended one such course here
in Kansas since even before I began working on the Million Dads March,
and it has helped me immensely.

Many responsible fatherhood groups tend to ignore the abuses that
fathers face in court.  This angers many fathers' advocates and
activists.  They mistakenly believe that responsible fatherhood groups
are really against fatherhood.  Many responsible fatherhood groups at
the same time mistakenly believe that Fathers' Rights groups and
fathers' advocates are wasting their time trying to get their rights
and their plight recognized.  These misunderstandings have prevented
two brilliant and dedicated sections of our movement apart, and we've
lost valuable time as a result.

Getting groups from all camps together, even if on separate days,
working towards a mutual project, will allow them to communicate and
work together.  This will benefit our movement as we begin to become
more cohesive, and more cooperative with each other.