Jailed Outside Clinton Offices - Worth It?

From: John Murtari (jmurtari@AKidsRight.Org)
Date: Wed Feb 20 2008 - 15:23:51 EST

Good People & People of Faith,

    This will be my longest jail time as part of a NonViolent
<http://www.AKidsRight.Org/civil.htm> Action for Family Rights
<http://www.AKidsRight.Org/approach.htm>.  In the past Federal
Magistrate DiBianco had assigned a max of 10 days for any single offense
-- my longest sentence of 30 days for three incidents.  Federal
Magistrate Peebles, newly assigned to handle my activity, is taking a
much firmer approach.

    I've been held in jail since Jan. 29th and my trial isn't until
March 31st.  I'm facing Criminal Contempt for disobeying his order to
stop my actions <http://www.AKidsRight.Org/clinton#log>.

    Stop using kid's chalk to write "I LOVE YOU" to my son and "SEN
CLINTON HELP US" on the ground outside the Syracuse Federal Building.  I
did it twice, so I'll have already done 30 days for each incident prior
to my trial -- and I'm pretty sure he plans to add on even more.  The
max he can give me is 6 months for each incident.  Is it worth it?
Should parents stop thinking of doing something like this?

*Public Action to change Public Opinion*_

_    I think everyone agrees we would get some good media coverage and
maybe a National story if a steady stream of parents began to come to
Syracuse.  If they come to write "I LOVE YOU"
<http://www.AKidsRight.Org/clinton/national.htm> to their kids and
accept arrest (realistically, you would probably only get a ticket and
be released, but anyone would have to be ready for jail).

    A sequence of arrests would fascinate the media and certainly cause
them to ask questions.  Including questions to Sen. Clinton and her
staff -- why won't you meet with these peaceful & loving parents
<http://www.AKidsRight.Org/clinton/agenda.htm> about Family Rights?

*We are not Criminals*_

_    Peaceful Civil Disobedience is an essential part of _NonViolent
Action_ <http://www.AKidsRight.Org/civil.htm>.   How should we feel
about ourselves and how should we be treated?  If the year was 1955
would you assign the same amount of criminal intent to these two
offenders:  a black man writing "I AM EQUAL" with chalk versus a vandal
who writes profanity?

    Before being arrested on the 29th I wrote a letter to Judge Peebles
<http://www.AKidsRight.Org/clinton/peebles3.pdf> trying to explain my
motivation.  I hope it represents ideas many of us share.

*Is it Worth it?*_
_
    Boy, haven't I had a chance to think about that one!  Jail is no fun
and I'll be missing Spring Break with my son.  The Judge denied my
request for a change in trial date.  What if no other parents join the
effort?  Is it worth it?

    Is there a God that loves us even more than we love our own
children?  Faith has always been a foundation of _NonViolent Action_
<http://www.AKidsRight.Org/civil.htm>.  Especially at the beginning of a
Civil Rights movement.

    We all remember the name of the black lady, Rosa Parks, who refused
to move to the back of the bus.  She provided a trigger for the bus
boycott <http://www.AKidsRight.Org/p_martin.htm> and for the hundreds of
"freedom riders" that followed.  Blacks who sat in the front of the bus
and accepted jail with dignity.

    Was she the first one?  No.  You can be sure there were others
before her.  Arrested, jailed and nobody remembers their names.  Homes
burned down by the KKK for being an uppity ni$$er and we don't know them.

    Am I willing to be a no name?  Are you?  Is it worth it?  How great
of a Civil Right is the ability to be presumed FIT & EQUAL parents
unless found guilty in a criminal court of harming our children with
malintent?

*If you have time*

    Please read the letters to Judge Peebles about my intentions
<http://www.AKidsRight.Org/clinton/peebles3.pdf>, and asking for a
change in trial date <http://www.AKidsRight.Org/clinton/peebles4.pdf> to
see my son.  His mailing address and that of the US Attorney can be
found there.  Write and let them know what you think about Family
Rights.  Fax/call the offices of Senator Clinton in Syracuse (Mr. Jay
Biba, fax: 315-448-0476, tel: 315-448-0470).  You're welcome to also
send me a copy in jail.  My address is:

John Murtari
P.O. Box 143
Jamesville, NY 13078

I look forward to hearing from you!  Please also write your return
address within your letter.  The Jail ocassionally rips off return
addresses when opening envelopes for inspection.  I hate to ask, but
small donations of $5 - $10 are welcome.  They will help cover phone and
mail expenses while I'm in jail.  They should be in the form of a Postal
money order with my name.  As in the past, we will post the names of
contributors at the web site.

--
                                                         John Murtari
Coordinator                                      AKidsRight.Org