Felony warrant for Mom who takes child to avoid chemo - outrage?

From: John Murtari (jmurtari@AKidsRight.org)
Date: Sun May 24 2009 - 08:49:31 EDT

AKidsRight.Org - All the information in our messages is FREE for reuse as you desire. Subscribe/unsubscribe info at end.

Good People & People of Faith:

You've probably heard.  A felony arrest warrant to capture a Mom
(Collen) & child (Daniel) who fled to avoid Court ordered
chemotherapy.  I read a lot of News groups -- didn't see much on this.

Where is the outrage?  Here is a quick selection of stories you can
review:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090520/ap_on_re_us/us_forced_chemo

http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/undergod/2009/05/faith_healing_or_spiritual_abuse.html

http://blog.beliefnet.com/crunchycon/2009/05/hausers-parents-vs-the-state.html

One thing, before stating your opinion, let's avoid the Mom v. Dad
aspect of this.  From what I've seen the Father (Anthony) is saying,
"he didn't know" -- but I get the feeling he is being forced to say
the right words or face arrest as an accomplice.  So, for the purpose
of discussion, let's assume they were in agreement over the action:
Father, mother, and child.

What is your outrage, if any?  Are you upset the government should
issue an arrest warrant for a parent making the same decision for a
child -- that we fully recognize any parent could make regarding their
own treatment?  We can say no.

Are you upset a parent should force spiritual beliefs on their child
which result in putting the kid's life at risk?

Most importantly, why?  If you choose to write in, talk about fundamental
rights and what guided your thoughts....

Priming the pump
----------------
I think we will remain a fractured movement until we share a common view
of the fundamental rights of family and being a parent.  Take a look at
some rights expressed at the National Parent's Leadship Council website,
http://www.NationalPLC.Org/

My outrage?  Parent's decide for their children -- refusing
chemotherapy is recognized as a valid choice.  What has this parent
done wrong while acting with malintent?  That has always been my standard
of proof before government can interfere:

-----------------

      It's time we recognize & protect our GREAT Civil Right to be
      parents to our own children. There ought to be a "significant
      barrier" the system has to cross before they can interfere with
      our family life.

      We're not looking for MORE laws, but protection.  That you and
      your spouse are both considered Fit & Equal parents (equal in
      terms of both physical and legal custody).  If anyone (a spouse,
      relative, social services) wishes to challenge that, you have:

      1) The right to counsel.

      2) The right to be presumed a fit parent, innocent, and
      deserving of an equal relationship with your kids.

      3) The right to protection of a criminal jury and a unaminous
      verdict.  The "state" needs to prove you were a demonstrated
      serious and intentional threat to your child's safety and that
      you acted with mal-intent towards your children.

----------------- http://www.AKidsRight.Org/approach.htm

I've already seen a big difference of opinion on this case.  That would
almost guarantee you would NOT get a unanmious verdict of guilty, no
right for the 'state' to interfere.

What really scares me
---------------------
Eventually the system will catch Mom & child.  Collen (Mom) will be
thrown in jail (after all, we need to let everyone know the state has
the overriding right to decide best interest for kids and violators
will be prosecuted - signed, the System).

Anthony (Dad) will have only 'supervised visits' with the child (after
all, he is suspect also, and we can't be too careful in protecting
this kid from his parents - signed, the System).

Poor Daniel will be terrified.  The social workers will counsel him
about how 'whacko' his parent's are.  He'll probably be given a new
family to see him through all the pain of chemo.  If it doesn't work,
he'll probably die with neither Mom or Dad in the room (after all, we
don't want to upset his adjustment process - signed, the System).

What scares you and why?  And as always, if you think fundamental
rights are being violated -- what are you willing to sacrifice to make
those rights a reality?

(Oh, don't get me wrong, I do feel bad if all this bad stuff happens
to Daniel. But, based on the law of averages, we try to do the right
and scientific thing.  We have a lot of families to process.

You're next! - signed, the System).

--
                                       John Murtari
Coordinator                            AKidsRight.Org