[AKidsRight.Org] Murtari arrested for writing "HELP FAMILY RIGHTS" on Courthouse wall

From: John Murtari (murtarij@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Nov 12 2009 - 18:13:24 EST

AKidsRight.Org - All the information in our messages if FREE for reuse as you desire.  Subscribe/unsubscribe info at end of this message.
Good People & People of Faith,

[ NOTE: please send any message replies to this monitored addr:
<jmurtari@AKidsRight.Org> ]

I wanted to send out a brief message on my arrest today in Lyons, NY.
In the last few weeks I've used kid's chalk to write on the sidewalk
outside the Courthouse.  It became clear officials weren't going to
take action even though I was threatened with arrest initially.  You
can see pictures of the earlier activity at:
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/parental_notification

It was also clear there were no other parents yet ready to join in
this NonViolent Action.  A Mom & Dad willing to accept arrest & jail
as a way to peacefully demonstrate the depth of their beliefs.

What Happened Today
-------------------
At 2 PM, I wrote the same "HELP FAMILY RIGHTS" message on the outside
wall of the building.  Still using kid's chalk, still very easy to
remove -- but harder for officials to ignore.

I just wrote it once and then went inside the building and told
security I'd left a message on the wall.  They took a look and in
about 30 minutes the local police showed up and I was taken into
custody.  I was charged with a misdemeanor, in violation of Section
145.60(2) of the New York Penal Law: "No person shall make graffiti of
any type on any building, public or private....."

I was released with an appearance ticket for the local Village Court
on Nov. 25th (I'll have copies of the tickets, etc.. at the website by
tomorrow morning).

The Important Stuff - Going back tomorrow!
I'm planning to return tomorrow and repeat the same activity.  Why?
I had an interesting conversation with one of the officers:

   "Do you want to get arrested? Want to go to jail?"

   "No, not at all.  My goal is to show how important Family Rights
   are.  I've been trying to get other parents to join me in writing
   on the sidewalk -- it could have been a good news story, but you
   know how it is -- a lot of people complain....It's hard to get
   people to actually do something....

   So... I have to do a little more to increase the 'drama' of the
   event -- but I'm always peaceful & courteous...."

He seemed to understand that. I DON'T WANT TO GO BACK THERE ALONE
TOMORROW!  There will be another arrest and most likely jail.

The Alternative - Group Action
------------------------------
I would much prefer to find a Mom & Dad willing to join me next week
in more chalk writing on the sidewalk outside the building.  With
three people we could turn it into a media event -- and that would
help all of us!  But there's always a risk.

They allowed me to fill the sidewalk with writing, but if more people
show up they may threaten arrest again -- we must have the quiet
courage of our convictions and Faith in the power of the love we have
for our kids.  http://www.AKidsRight.Org/civil.htm

This is not about winning or what other's may do in response. Actions
such as these first convince "us" that what we want is worth the
potential sacrifice.

Folks, don't get me wrong.  I understand when people can't join the
effort. We all have a lot of personal issues to deal with.  I have
failed to respond to other requests for help because I was too busy.
But I'm also confident that with time -- parents will start to come
forward.  All I can do is ask...

I just got a notice there will be a County Board of Supervisors meeting
next Tuesday at 9AM in the old Courthouse building (right next to the
new one).  Media usually attends and we could get some easy attention
by messages on the sidewalk.

If you think you are interested, email me: jmurtari@AKidsRight.Org and
leave me a phone number & good time to call.  Maybe I won't need to go
back tomorrow...

The Declaration of Family Rights
--------------------------------
On Monday & Tuesday of this week I had also taped sheets of paper with
a Declaration of Family Rights on the outside wall & windows of the
County Courthouse.
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/parental_notification/family-rights-poster.pdf

Declaration of Family Rights - in just a few words.
Here are a few paragraphs which may capture the essence of what we are
looking for.  Fundamental principles which, if recognized and
protected, would have prevented many of our family disasters.

   When a child is born, both biological parents have a RIGHT to
   know. A child has a RIGHT to both parents in their lives. Fit
   parents decide what is in the 'best interests' of their
   children. Good, average, & poor parents are Fit & Equal parents.

   You and your spouse have a RIGHT to be presumed Fit & Equal parents
   (equal in terms of both physical and legal custody).

   If anyone (a spouse, relative, social services) wishes to challenge
   these rights, you have:

   1) The RIGHT to counsel.

   2) The RIGHT to be presumed a fit parent, innocent, and deserving
   of an equal relationship with your kids.

   3) The RIGHT to protection of a criminal jury. The "state" needs to
   prove you were a demonstrated serious and intentional threat to
   your child's safety and that you acted with mal-intent towards your
   children.

PDF: http://www.AKidsRight.Org/parental_notification/family-rights-poster.pdf

What do you think?  Your FEEDBACK & PARTICIPATION is welcome!

--
                                                                                   John Murtari
Coordinator                                                                 AKidsRight.Org