kidsnav.gif (4714 bytes)

Contact Us

Frequently Asked Questions

We are not really a "support" group, but here are some answers to situations we see most often in our mail.

I am in a relationship and am worried about losing contact with my children - or - Legal action is underway, and I am afraid I will lose contact with my children.

We really aren't able to give legal advise. Every state has different rules.  You simply "must" consult an attorney to have a good chance in Court and to understand what your specific rights are.  In many states the Court must assign you an attorney over a matter of child custody if you cannot afford one.

Unfortunately, you do not have any recognized "right" to see your children. We are trying to change that via the Family Rights Act -- but it will take time.

You can proceed "pro se", represent yourself without an attorney, but we do not recommend it unless you have no other options.

We can highly recommend finding a local parent's rights group in your area and attending a meeting -- they can be very, very helpful (most of them have already been through it).

I am a "custodial" parent and want to move away from the area of the "non-custodial" parent.

As a group we support the idea of both parents having an equal relationship with the children (see the Family Rights Act).   You must remain  in the same area or make a choice to leave the children behind (the same choice you are ready to force on the other parent).

I am a parent, and my child doesn't want to see/visit with the other parent any more.

This is one of the most troubling questions we get.  Children need two parents and the parents are not in "competition" with each other. This forces the question of  "who do you love more, mommy or daddy?" -- what an awful thing! You first need to see the value of that other parent and then convey that to your child (We'll be the first to admit -- its not easy!).

The relation between a parent and child is a dynamic one and changes with time. During life we may feel greater closeness to one parent or the other depending on the situation.  A parent can have a dramatic effect on a child -- and a child can also have an effect on a parent -- both benefit.

I am an aunt, uncle, grandparent, or other relative -- and have lost contact with a child.

Unfortunately, we don't have an answer here. Clearly we feel parents have a definite right to equal access with their children ... perhaps your access must come thorough the parent?  It is a difficult questions, your input is welcome.